The Office of Radiological Health (ORH) inspects facilities using radioactive by-product materials and facilities with x-ray producing equipment (CT, Fluoroscopy, Mammography, and Linear Accelerators throughout New York City to ensure compliance with public health and safety regulations at more than 7,000 facilities. This position requires you to take appropriate action in case of danger to the public which may require the sealing of radiation equipment, the closing of radioactive materials facilities or portions thereof, or seizure and removal of radioactive materials. Under supervision the Scientist (Radiation Control) I will perform duties for the Office of Radiological Health involving a range of tasks.
You will be responsible for the following:
• Inspect facilities using radioactive materials or x-ray producing equipment throughout New York City to ensure compliance with public health and safety regulations.
• Take appropriate action when threat occurs which may require the sealing of radiation producing equipment, the closing of regulated facilities or portions thereof, or seizure and removal of radioactive materials.
• Serve court summons, Commissioner's Orders or prepare and serve Administrative Tribunal hearing notices where specific violations of City, State or Federal Laws and regulations are found. Participates in tribunal hearings.
• Assist in the review and approval of applications for radioactive material licenses.
• Review and verify information on licenses and registration certificates during inspections, evaluate quality control procedures.
• Prepare required narrative of inspections and prepare standard forms and reports of inspection activity.
• Participate in emergency training exercises and drills and assist in emergency response.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A masters degree in radiological health or a related field; or
2. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, including or supplemented by 24 semester credits in physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, or a related field, plus one year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the field of health physics, radiological health, or radiation hygiene.
For Assignment Level II
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level II, individuals must have, after meeting the minimum requirements described above, at least one year of satisfactory service as a Scientist (Radiation Control) AL I with the City of New York, or at least one additional year of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the field of health physics, radiological health, or radiation hygiene.
For Assignment Level III
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level III, individuals must have, after meeting the minimum requirements described in Assignment Level I, at least two years of satisfactory service as a Scientist (Radiation Control) AL I and AL II with the City of New York, or at least two additional years of satisfactory full-time professional experience in the field of health physics, radiological health, or radiation hygiene.
Ability to work with a team of diverse professionals. Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, organizational, and problem-solving skills. Knowledge of federal and state regulations for radioactive by-product material and radiation producing equipment. Work experience in health care or research setting using radioactive by-product material or x-ray producing equipment.
Apply online with a cover letter to https://a127-jobs.nyc.gov/. In the Job ID search bar, enter: job ID number #131880.
We appreciate the interest and thank all applicants who apply, but only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
42-09 28th Street, Long Island City, NY
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
NYC Careers - 16 months ago