Now taking off: Your career
Where do you want your career to take you? Chances are you can get there with United Airlines. Our environment is open, honest, and focused on your success. So choose a career path. And rediscover what it's like to enjoy your job.
Scientist - Enterprise Optimization - WHQ
Equal Opportunity Employer by Choice.
Travel subject to service charges/restrictions. Bonuses awarded only under terms of United's policies.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
Engage in value added activities that generate practical solutions to complex business problems, explore and define new business alternatives, and drive improvement in business decisions through innovations, research & development, and product knowledge. In addition, must have in-depth subject matter and professional expertise as well as thorough knowledge of the business tools and systems which render judgment and professional opinion an essential component of the job.
- Identify, investigate and introduce industry leading concepts to solve complex business problems.
- Responsible for driving product enhancements, and/or research & development activities independently or as part of a team, with an orientation to locating opportunity, generating practical business solutions, and delivering value.
- Leverage understanding of the business process and in-depth knowledge of business systems to identify and implement solutions and influences business processes that will result in significant bottom-line contributions and/or efficiency improvements.
- Stay abreast of changing business trends and enable the company in staying ahead of its competition.
- Set short and medium-term direction for research efforts.
- Design and/or implement mathematical models to drive critical financial, operational, and/or strategic decisions.
- Develops the approach and methods to define and solve management problems through quantitative analysis and analytical models, using tools and techniques covered in Operation Research, Statistics, and Econometrics sciences using structured programming languages such as C, C++, and Java in addition to BI tools.
- Implement model prototypes using optimization and statistical toolkits such as CPLEX, AMPL, OPL, or JMP.
- Design and develop models for several efforts, and interface with client organizations and IT.
- Regular communication and presentation to organization leaders are required, with emphasis on visualization skill, quality, and timeliness.
- Share accountability for training other staff professionals within the organization.
- Mentor individuals for acquiring and/or maintaining the technical skills for which scientist can serve as the subject matter expert.
- Total yearly contributions in cost reduction and revenue improvement through business partnership.
- Business ideas generated and system enhancements put in place to reduce costs and improve reliability and customer satisfaction in critical company-wide business processes.
- Advanced degree (M.S., Ph.D., or equivalent) in Operations Research (OR), Statistics, or a related quantitative field required.
- PhD in Operations Research or Statistics is preferred.
- Advanced quantitative skills, subject matter expertise in at least one business area, good business technical communication, verbal/written communication and presentation and sales skills required.
- Adaptability to changing business environment required.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interact with clients at all levels and influence business strategy required.
- Stay abreast of changing industry trends and enable the company in staying ahead of its competition required.
- Successful industry presentations preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience at successive levels of analytical field solving complex business problems with application of advanced quantitative techniques required.
- In depth experience in model prototyping through use of either optimization toolkit(s) including CPLEX, AMPL, or OPL or experience in statistical modeling using applications such as SAS, Minitab, Gauss required.
- Strong experience with C, C++, Java, or other structured programming language required.
- In depth experience with mathematical programming, statistics and/or econometric modeling required.
- Atlest 1 years airline business experience required.
- Demonstrated ability in innovation to create business value and influence business strategy.
- A minimum of 5-7 years experience in advanced research in quantitative and analytical fields in Airline Industry such as Operation Research, Statistics, and/or Econometric Modeling preferred.
- Existing productive connections with academia to keep abreast of new developments preferred.
's policies is required.
If you have already accepted a position with the new United, you understand and agree to remain in the assignment previously agreed upon for a period of one year and understand that you will not be considered for other positions for at least one year.
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship.
- Proficiency in MS Office and BI tools required.
- Knowledge of United/Industry data sources preferred.
- Regular attendance and punctuality in accordance with United
United Airlines - 8 months ago
Now taking off: Your career
At United®, we are thriving in the culture that our employees have helped to create, one that encourages...