Examples of Duties:
• Interpret and enforce flag football rules
• Supervise and control the general conduct of all participants
• Invoke and impose penalties for violations of said rules
• Make decisions on any point not specifically covered in said rules
• Examine equipment and playing area
• Report information in connection with all protests
• Shall wear proper officiating attire and comply with the City of Appleton dress code
• Sign own name on the results/pay sheet for hours worked
• Maintain positive environment by encouraging coaches and participants to display proper sportsmanship
• Knowledge of the rules and officiating skills of the game of football
• Ability to supervise and maintain control of all "on field" situations
• Ability to integrate instruction into the management of the game
• Ability to keep accurate records and complete all necessary paperwork
• Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public in a courteous and tactful manner
• Ability to work accurately under pressure
• Adhere to City of Appleton and Departmental policies and procedures
Employment Period: September - October
Days/Hours per day: Tuesdays - Youth; Wednesdays - Adults; 3-4 hours per night
Work Location: Appleton Memorial Park
Sport Official I - Pay Grade 4; $7.79/hour; Minimum of a high school student.
Sport Official II - Pay Grade 8; $10.42/hour; Minimum of a high school graduate/GED; Two years of officiating experience or a combination of past experience at the junior high or high school level. Serves as a mentor and advocate to other officials.
Sport Official III - Pay Grade 12; $13.47/hour; Minimum of a high school graduate/GED; Four years of officiating experience or a combination of past experience at the junior high or high school level. Serves as a mentor and advocate to other officials. Has earned the respect of participants, coaches, and the public through past work in the department.