AFS-USA works towards a more just and peaceful world by providing international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities through a global volunteer partnership.
AFS-USA is particularly proud of its staff of approximately 150 people nationwide, located in three Regional Service Centers in Maryland, Minnesota and Oregon and the National Service Center in New York City. AFS-USA is equally proud of its network of more than 5000 volunteers located in communities throughout the United States. Our staff and volunteers work in partnership to deliver quality intercultural exchange programs to adolescents and adults, both those interested in coming to the U.S. as well as those U.S. citizens interested in experiencing life abroad.
The primary responsibility of the Seasonal Program Advisor is to engage and cultivate potential AFS students with the end goal of moving them to the next stage of the application process. Additionally, the Seasonal Program Advisor supports organizational priorities and quality goals, including compliance to AFS, government and CSIET regulations and standards. The Program Advisor reports to the Outreach Manager.
Administrative and Departmental Functions
- Support the organization's sending goal by converting student inquiries to active applicants.
- Manage the customer relationship through various customer touch points, including outbound/inbound phone calls, bulk and personalized emails, online chat, and hosting interactive online webinars.
- Provide students, parents and educators with timely and detailed program information, including program costs, program and country choices, reasonable and clear program expectations, as well as an in depth explanation of the application process.
- Counsel applicants on the financial aid process including application deadlines, financial aid realities, student-driven fundraising, and how to determine best program choice as it relates to aid opportunities.
- Meet daily, weekly and monthly contact and application goals and standards. Comply with customer service and contact standards by keeping in close contact with potential applicants and their families.
Knowledge and Skills
- In collaboration with the rest of the team, ensure that the Ask an AFSer Facebook group is staying on target and continuing to provide accurate and appropriate information to students.
- Data entry as needed.
- Comfort working in a strategic and consultative sales environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Comfortable being on the phone.
- Sound time management skills and professional judgment.
- Able to deal with shifting and conflicting priorities.
- Detail oriented, while able to see the big picture.
- Comfortable speaking with people of different backgrounds and ages.
- 2-3 years in sales and customer service experience.
- Experience working in a call center.
- International/intercultural exchange experience (living or studying abroad or exposure to other cultures). Preference given to people who have had high school study abroad experience, with AFS in particular.
- Bachelors degree or equivalent work experience.
- Strong computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, database use, and Internet applications.
The Marketing and Communications department is located in the New York, NY office. Program Advisors must be able to work a non-traditional schedule with evening and weekend hours required. There will be times when hours will be altered with manager approval, dependent upon priorities and fluctuations in workload.
It is the policy of AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunity in all employment practices without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, or any other unlawful basis. Our goal is to foster a diverse workforce which reflects a broad spectrum of society and maintain an organization free from unlawful discrimination towards any employee or applicant for employment. Full commitment to this policy is required to produce a work environment in which we can take pride.
idealist.org - 10 months ago