Performs secretarial duties and provides secretarial support for assigned department/division. Assists other department/division personnel as needed.
· Performs secretarial duties and provides secretarial support for assigned area of responsibility such as managing calendars and schedules, screening calls, arranging appointments, meetings, and conferences, as directed,
· Answers telephone; routes calls to appropriate person; places calls; greets visitors and responds to inquiries; gives and relays information as needed.
· May take and transcribe dictation; compose memos; take notes in meetings and transcribes from Dictaphone as needed.
· Organizes, maintains and updates files and records as required.
· Assist in the preparation of budgets, prepare expenditure estimates, and gather and organize supporting data. Monitor individual accounts within these budgets to track expenditures.
· Establish and maintain appropriate databases including physical and electronic files for the department. Prepare reports as directed.
· Initiate correspondence on a variety of matters requiring an understanding of department and City policies, procedures and ordinances.
· Enters payroll hours into financial/payroll system for assigned area of responsibility.
· Operate office equipment, including copiers, facsimile machines, and computers; input and retrieve data and text.
· Receive cash, check or charge payments as required.
· Performs all other related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED
1 year of clerical/secretarial experience required.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
· Must have sound knowledge and ability in business correspondence and an ability to proofread for grammar, spelling, and punctuation with a high degree of accuracy.
· Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
· Ability to follow instructions, safety practices and standard operating procedures in performing assigned tasks.
· Ability to be punctual and attend work regularly
· Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, or job type.
· Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
· Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
· Ability to communicate effectively with diverse, and sometimes irate individuals and to handle calmly and efficiently situations ranging from routine to emergency.
· Excellent memory and organizational ability, in order to set priorities, organize workload, handle multiple responsibilities, and meet deadlines.
· Ability to handle confidential information and sensitive issues in a responsible manner.
· Ability to type 50 words per minute.
· Ability to accurately process and record payment transactions.
· Skill in use of personal computer including Microsoft Office, Open Office or similar word processing programs, e-mail and the INTERNET.
· Must submit to and pass a pre-employment drug test.
· Must possess a valid State of Texas Drivers License Class “C” and good driving record as defined by City policy.