UALR Functional Title
Security Guard / R99898
The Higher Education (HE) Public Safety Dispatcher is responsible for the central dispatch to department officers and central command. This position is governed by state and federal laws and agency/institution policy.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Operates computer consoles, video monitoring equipment and other communication devices in the public safety department to receive requests for assistance; identifies the nature of the situation and dispatches public safety officers and/or other personnel as required.
- Performs security checks of campus buildings.
- Monitors fire, security and environmental alarm systems and notifies the proper authority.
- Maintains accurate records of calls and other communications transmission by using the methods prescribed by the Public Safety Department.
- Acts as a link for coordinating the activities of police officers, security guards, and emergency responders from outside agencies.
- Prepares required reports, including incident reports, lost and found and any reports requested by Public Safety Officers.
- Operates the Arkansas Crime Information Computer terminal in accordance with state law, ACIC rules and UALR Public Safety procedures.
- Provides routine checks of campus grounds and buildings for unauthorized persons, illegal entry, and damaged or missing property.
- Notifies Public Safety Supervisor of any observed safety concerns on the campus.
- Directs traffic, assists with crowd control and emergency situations as directed by Public Safety Officers.
- Provides routine information to visitors and directs them to campus departments and services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of communication procedures and federal rules and regulations concerning dispatching equipment
- Knowledge of communication equipment
- Knowledge of emergency response procedures and practices
- Ability to direct traffic for an orderly flow
- Ability to operate communication equipment
- Ability to remain calm in emergencies and gather related information
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to operate motor vehicles
- Ability to direct traffic and to maintain order.
- Ability to prepare reports of incidents and accidents.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
Required Education and/or Experience
The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma; plus one year of specialized training in communications or related field; plus one year experience in public safety environment.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Background Check Requirements
05 - Criminal/Sex/Drug
Light Work - Exerting up to 20 pounds: Daily, Medium Work - Exerting 20-50 pounds: Daily, Very Heavy Work - Exerting in excess of 100 pounds: Occasionally, Kneeling: Occasionally, Crawling: Occasionally, Climbing (Stairs, Ladders, etc.): Daily, Lifting 5 -10 lbs: Daily, Lifting 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Lifting 50 plus lbs: Occasionally, Carrying 5-10 lbs: Daily, Carrying 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Carrying 50 plus lbs: Occasionally, Pushing/pulling 5-10 lbs: Daily, Pushing/pulling 25-50 lbs: Frequently, Pushing/pulling 50 plus lbs: Occasionally, Sitting for long periods of time: Frequently, Standing for long periods of time: Frequently, Speaking; Essential, Hearing: Essential, Vision: Ability to distinguish similar colors, depth perception, close vision: Essential, Walking - Long Distances; Daily
Activities occur inside or outside in approximately equal amounts, Extreme cold - Temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour, Extreme heat - Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour, Sufficient noise to cause applicant to shout in order to be heard, Hazards - definite risk of bodily injury, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, electrical current, etc.
Posting Detail Information
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment background check, sex offender registry and a drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants
University of Arkansas at Little Rock - 16 months ago