Positions in this class typically require: standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and seeing.
Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
Incumbents may be subjected to odors, dusts, gases, poor ventilation, extreme temperatures, disruptive people, imminent danger, and a threatening environment.
Advertised Hiring Range
$14.55 (min) to $18.18 (mid)
Responsible for patrolling and inspecting the assigned campus and providing safety and security to all students, staff, faculty, and visitors as necessary. This class also conducts investigations; enforces conduct regulations; and completes appropriate safety and security documents as required. Some positions may provide work direction to lower level Officers in the absence of the Supervisor.
Classification DescriptionList the broad major functions of the position.
1. Patrols college campus and inspects interior and exterior of buildings for obvious signs of damage, break-in, or unusual activity; monitors surveillance cameras and responds to reports of damage or malfunction from students, faculty, and visitors.
2. Responds to calls for escort, assistance, policy enforcement, medical help, or safety; collects information, assists with possible medical emergencies, and determines need for further action.
3. Enforces parking and traffic violations; issues citations and provides traffic assistance and control.
4. Performs administrative support activities, such as relaying communications, researching information, creating statistical reports, writing and filing incident reports, and providing related support.
5. Conducts armed money escorts as requested to transport college assets.
6. Provides security for special events; enforces policies and regulations concerning traffic, crowds, and college equipment and grounds.
7. Conducts preliminary investigations of suspicious or criminal activity; gathers information and determines what steps need to be taken.
8. Conducts safety checks of building interiors, emergency doors, fire extinguishers, and emergency lighting.
9. May act as a lead officer, assigning work schedules, providing direction and guidance, and recommending training as needed.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. and one year of experience in law enforcement, security, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
PA Act 235 Lethal Weapons with Firearms (or PA Act 120 w/the understanding that PA Act 235 must be obtained prior to start date)
Job Specific Task List
Qualifications: Preferred Experience
Licensing Requirements (legally required):
-PA Act 235 Lethal Weapons with Firearms (or PA Act 120 w/the understanding that PA Act 235 must be obtained prior to start date)
- CPR / AED
-Valid Driver’s License
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Harrisburg Area Community College - 22 months ago
copy to clipboard