Engineers - Structural
Energy, Engineering, Oil and Gas
Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years. Globally, Atkins is the largest UK-based engineering and design consultancy and the world's 11th largest design firm with nearly 18,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
At Atkins, we offer our employees more than just a job; we offer an opportunity to shape the world for generations to come through innovative and sound design. As the official engineer of the 2012 London Olympics, few companies can rival the size and diversity of our projects. Whether it’s the concept for a new skyscraper, the upgrade of a rail network, the modeling of a flood defense system or the improvement of a management process, we plan, design and enable solutions.
The Energy business of Atkins has been providing engineering solutions to the Oil & Gas industry since 1975. As the world’s fourth largest global design consultancy, we provide services across a wide range of disciplines and applications covering fixed and floating offshore structures, terminals, refineries, petrochemical plants and pipelines.
As part of our global growth strategy to become the world’s leading infrastructure consultancy, we have opportunities for experienced Senior and Principal Structural Consultants to further strengthen our Structures business in the Americas. The position will be based in our Houston office.
As a Senior or Principal Structural Consultant you will have a key role in delivering exceptional engineering design and consultancy advice to our clients. You will join a multi-discipline team in Houston, where we are able to offer you a variety of challenging and unique projects. These positions report to the Operational Manager of the Structures Americas Business Unit.
During your first 6 to 12 months of employment in a Principal Role, you will be offered the opportunity to go before our Promotional Panel to be considered for a Chief Consultant Role. If successful in securing the promotion, you will become eligible for the Executive Bonus Scheme with a maximum reward of 10% of your annual salary at the time of promotion.
‘People’ and ‘Development’ are culturally part of the Atkins DNA. We empower people to develop and take responsibility early within their careers with us, knowing they have the back-up of some of the most talented people in the sector which will provide the support where needed.
The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Coordination and collaboration with our European based structures business
- Identify and follow up on business leads
- Prepare professional responses to inquiries
- Developing client relationships
- Preparing proposals including development of costs, time and resources
- Capable of managing the structural design and analytical engineering elements for multiple projects from conceptual through to detailed designs.
- Experience of managing and coordinating staff job allocations
- Checking, reviewing and approving technical deliverables including reports, technical notes, drawings and engineering calculations.
- Professional development of junior staff
- Bachelor’s degree or greater in an engineering discipline
- Experience in the oil & gas structural engineering industry (7 to 10+yrs)
- Professional Engineering (PE) License preferred
- Strong business development/management skills
- Experienced project and line manager with a track record of delivering project on time within budget
- Excellent communication, report writing and presentation skills
- Robust working knowledge of structural design and assessment practices for offshore structures, both fixed and floating.
- Proven understanding of static and dynamic structural analysis, i.e. static strength, fatigue loading, seismic, wave loading, accidental loading, etc.
- Oversee and manage the development of AFC drawings.
- Self-motivated, with the ability to supervise and lead a team of engineers
- Promote a strong HSE culture
- Understands projects, operations & integrity interfaces with a good appreciation of client’s business driver
Atkins - 19 months ago
Atkins is one of the world's leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to...