This position reports to the Manager of Integration Services. The Senior/ Applications Server Administrator will be responsible for the day-to-day operations in support of the department's mission. He/she will work independently or with other team members to provide the following services:
Application Server Implementation includes:
- Leading the installation, design and configuration of various application server environments such as WebLogic, Tomcat, etc.
- Understanding and using various system server tools especially application/software installation tools.
- Setting up and managing various system and application logs.
- Having a working knowledge of load balancers, SSO servers, and network equipment and computer security.
Application Server Engineering includes:
- Application server administration which encompasses configuration modifications to support new applications (e.g. setting up new JMS/MQ resources, new database resources and new LDAP resources), integration with SSO server
- Web Server Administration experience including advanced Apache configurations and JVM troubleshooting
- Knowledge and experience with the Kuali RICE product a plus.
- ESB administration. Experience administrating ESB infrastructure and knowledge of Net Kernel ESB and KSB is a plus.
- JVM monitoring, profiling and troubleshooting knowledge.
- Performance monitoring and optimization of individual components as well as entire request path from load balancer through the database.
- Backup/recovery strategy and implementation.
- Installation/renewal of SSL certificates.
- Having a working knowledge of various deployment and build tools to assist with deployments and builds as needed.
- Capacity planning for application servers and reporting related issues. This includes reviewing current and future systems requirements and performing load testing in the suggested environment.
- Problem determination and resolution for the application environments.
- Assisting with application troubleshooting activities by analyzing the application server environment and logs.
- Maintaining and upgrading various application servers and coordinating these activities with application service owners.
- Researching, analyzing and recommending new technology solutions and standards related to the application servers.
- Leading technical projects.
- Adopting industry best practices and developing best practices for Boston College's application servers.
- Providing application and web infrastructure environment support for various Boston College environments.
- Demonstrate excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Lead or participate in cross-functional teams both within and outside of IT.
- Lead enterprise wide programs.
- Work well as a team with other administrators and developers.
- Mentor junior administrators and educate application developers on application server/portal technologies.
- Provide leadership (technical and non-technical) to project team members.
- Work closely with customers to deliver state of the art business solutions.
- Must grasp complex technical issues and synthesize them into standards/policies for integration and understand the mission and strategic goals of the University and the role of these technologies in fulfilling those goals.
- Be open to innovative approaches to problem solving.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Work independently and have the ability to multi-task, managing time and priorities wisely with the understanding of the department priorities.
- Be flexible and willing to help where needed.
- Being proactive in learning and staying up to date with new technologies. Understand the role that emerging technologies play in improving the current environment.
- Following department standards and processes and looking for ways to improve these standards.
- Utilizing conceptual thinking.
- Being security conscious and aware of security implications.
An Associate's degree or higher in systems administration or a related field is required.
Additional classes or certifications and/or a Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
3 - 5 years of professional experience in an informational technology environment.
Experience with Application Servers, Portal Servers, SSO, Load Balancing and Federated SSO.
Experience with installing, configuring and administering application servers in cluster and high available environment.
Experience with Rice Framework, WebLogic, Apache, and Tomcat preferred.
Working understanding of various Unix operating system architectures preferred.
Boston College conducts background checks as part of the hiring process.
Boston College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
Boston College - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard