Currently the fourth largest producer of natural gas in the continental United States, Southwestern Energy Company is a growing independent energy company primarily engaged in natural gas and crude oil exploration, development and production within North America. We are also focused on creating and capturing additional value through our natural gas gathering and marketing business, which we refer to as Midstream Services. Visit SWN.com to learn more.
Working at Southwestern Energy
Southwestern Energy produces and provides energy to our world. It’s a commitment that has motivated our employees for more than 80 years. Every day we are explorers and producers, working to discover innovative new ways to fuel the future. Our culture demands creativity and innovation, and we foster this by building programs and procedures that make our company and industry better. We give employees, including new hires, the opportunity to be a contributor from the first day on the job. It’s important to us to create a rewarding and inclusive work environment. We reward team and individual performance, in addition to offering our employees competitive compensation and benefits. We support our employees with opportunities to participate in ongoing development training and support groups.
We are at the forefront of several significant projects, including the Fayetteville Shale and Marcellus Shale plays. In fact, Southwestern Energy was the first to discover the economic viability of the Fayetteville Shale and is the largest producer of its natural gas. In a few short years, we achieved two significant milestones – total gross operated production of 2 Bcf per day and surpassed 3 Tcf cumulative gross operated production. In the Marcellus, our gross operated production reached nearly 700 MMcf at year-end 2013. Our work is also well known in the Arkoma Basin in Western Arkansas, East Texas, and we have exploratory efforts in the Brown Dense, located near the Arkansas-Louisiana border, East Texas, Colorado’s Denver-Julesburg Basin and Niobrara formation, and New Brunswick, Canada.
Senior Accountant – Revenue Processing
This Houston based position will be an integral part of the company’s revenue processing efforts including a major focus on processing prior period adjustments. In this role, this individual would be responsible for the following tasks:
Other Candidate Requirements / Preferences
- Understanding and working experience with Division of Interest as created by the Land Department and its effect on revenue
- Working with both Land and Revenue personnel to process prior period adjustments, including the analysis of the results of processing prior period adjustments for reasonableness
- Performing analysis on the root cause of the prior period adjustments and be able to provide input on improvements that we can make to our Revenue and Land processes to minimize these adjustments in the future.
- Reviewing unusual or unexpected activity in owner balances to assess whether or not accounting was handled appropriately
- Reviewing and posting revenue batches and journal entries;
- Coordinating meetings and discussions between revenue accounting and multiple departments;
- Providing ad hoc reporting to management as needed;
- Ensure compliance with revenue internal controls
- Compile and review financial statement disclosure support provided by the revenue department
SOUTHWESTERN ENERGY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - MINORITIES/FEMALES/PROTECTED VETERANS/DISABLED
- 7+ years experience in oil and gas revenue accounting
- Education - Accounting Degree Preferred
- CPA or graduate degree is a plus
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Proven ability to work independently
- Demonstrated ability to interact well within a team environment, as well as the ability to manage people and projects
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Broad exposure to the oil and gas industry
- Desire to be a long-term player within a dynamic company
- Public company experience with internal controls
- Very limited travel may be required
- Oracle / P2 Enterprise Upstream application experience a plus