The position of Senior Analyst in the Airport Finance and Administration Division, provides support to the Airport Department in management of the operating budget process and Airport activity report. The Senior Analyst position reports directly to the Administrative Officer in the Finance and Administration Division and supervises (1) Analyst position.
The Senior Analyst position is primarily responsible for management and coordination of all operating budget processes, documents, training and coordination with staff. This includes: the supervision of a budget analyst; budget development, monitoring and reporting activities; coordination of budget training; directing the preparation of annual and semi-annual budget reports; management and development of several large data bases and conducting budget analysis to improve customer service levels. The position also reviews materials for the entire department for budget consistency, accuracy and serves as the key manager for all the Department's Budget and Administrative Liaisons. This position coordinates with Airport Sr. Staff and Managers, as well as Airport stakeholders, on various budget and industry issues. Additionally, this position supervises the preparation of monthly and annual airport activity information, ongoing statistical analysis of tenant/airline trends, and completion of industry survey data that is critical to Airport strategic planning. Completion of annual industry benchmarking surveys provide essential data to measure operational and financial performance across all airports.
The successful candidate will need to have strong management, organizational and supervision skills, be able to handle multiple assignments and work well under the pressure of the budget process. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, strong analytical and critical thinking ability as well as significant budget experience are ideal.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
1. Education: Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree, or its equivalent, from an accredited college or university in business or public administration or a closely related field.
2. Experience: Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of personnel, budget, fiscal and/or organizational methods analyses including general staff analytical work.
3. Acceptable Substitution/s: One (1) year of additional education above the Baccalaureate Degree level may be substituted for one year of the required management/administrative analytic work.
4. Licenses/Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver's license.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
1) Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies, federal rules and regulations; experience with PeopleSoft and Cayenta Financial Management System.
2) Fiscal Management - understands the relationship of the budget and resources to the strategic plan; monitors expenditures and resources to ensure spending is within allotments, or makes appropriate modifications; complies with administrative controls over funds, contracts, and procurements.
3) Analytical Thinking - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collect and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
4) Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in an effective, positive and respectful manner; information presented is accurate, complete, and current; written reports and correspondence are well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
5) Customer Service - demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services and respond to customers in a timely, accurate, courteous, respectful and friendly manner; demonstrates ownership, attention to detail, and follow-thru effectively and efficiently; takes ownership for solving problems, regardless of assigned responsibility.
6) Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
7) Leadership - leads by example; serves as appropriate role model; promotes a cooperative work environment; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; demonstrates high ethical standards.
8) Computer Skills - experience with common business computer applications including but not limited to: MS Outlook, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, MS Access, MS Excel, MS Visio.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. You must answer all job-specific questions and complete the Education/Work History section of the application in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be forwarded to the interview phase of the selection process.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
You will be prompted to answer the following questions in the online application process:
1) Indicate how you meet the minimum qualifications:
a) I do not meet the minimum qualifications
b) I have at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in business or public administration or a closely related field AND at least four years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work.
c) I have at least one year of additional education above the Bachelor's Degree level AND at least three years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative/analytic work.
2) Do you have experience in developing, monitoring, and reporting on operating and capital budgets? If so, describe your experience and role including the size and complexity of the budget you managed, and an example of an accomplishment or process improvement you achieved.
3) Do you have experience working on a complex project where you were required to perform analytical work of considerable difficulty and formulate recommendations? If so, describe the steps you took in completing the analysis. If your recommendations were implemented, what were the results?
4) Do you have experience supervising, training, leading, mentoring, completing performance evaluations, and/or providing career development to staff? If yes, please explain your scope of responsibilities (i.e. your role, length of training or supervisory experience, number of employees, direct and/or in-direct reports).
5) Do you have experience working with other departments or governmental entities? If yes, describe your experience working with other departments or governmental entities on one or more joint projects. Please describe your role and the outcome.
6) Do you have a writing sample of a formal document that you prepared, such as a council memo, strategic planning materials, or similar document? Applicants must submit a writing sample as a MS Word or Adobe.pdf email attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Writing samples must be received no later than midnight Wednesday, July 10, 2013. YOU MUST SUBMIT A WRITING SAMPLE IN ORDER FOR YOUR APPLICATION TO BE CONSIDERED COMPLETE. Receipt will be acknowledged by return email.
E-mail will be the default method of correspondence with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notifications regarding your application status for this recruitment, please enter a primary e-mail address when submitting your application.
If you have questions about this recruitment, selection, or hiring process, please contact email@example.com.
Employees in this classification are represented by City Association of Management Personnel (CAMP).
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.