The Finance Department is currently recruiting for a Senior Analyst to provide management support within the Finance Revenue Management Division. Responsibilities will include coordinating the tax and compliance program including the reporting efforts related to various tax revenue programs of the City. Typical duties for the Senior Analyst included, but are not limited to, the following:
- Coordinating with the City Manager's Budget Office to provide revenue forecasting for major sources of revenue that are monitored within the Revenue Tax and Compliance workgroup.
- Completing quarterly Revenue Management financial reports for presentation to the City Council and Public Safety, Finance and Strategic Support Committee regarding major revenue sources that are the responsibility of the Revenue Management Division.
- Providing direct supervision and coordination of work flows and priorities for five professional staff, including monitoring staff performance, providing feedback and completing annual performance appraisals.
- Preparing annual financial accruals for major revenue sources including Sales Tax, Utility Users Tax, Franchise Fees, Telephone Line Tax, Business Tax (including Marijuana), and Transient Occupancy Tax.
- Analyzing and evaluating new tax revenue source opportunities and developing trends for current major revenue sources that are monitored within the Revenue Management Division.
- Coordinating quarterly trend analysis and revenue forecast meetings with outside consulting firms related to Revenue Programs currently administered by the City.
- Conduct legislative analysis to support City tax revenue programs, collection procedures and practices currently approved by the City Council and administered by the Finance Department.
- Monitoring amendments, trends and new development of applicable laws and regulations related to tax compliance and monitoring for major revenue sources that are monitored within the Revenue Management Division.
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
- Education: Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree, or its equivalent, from any accredited college or university in business or public administration or a closely related field.
- Experience: Four (4) years of increasingly responsible experience in general management/administrative analytic work in the areas of personnel, budget, fiscal and/or organizational methods analyses including general staff analytical work.
- Acceptable Substitution/s: One (1) year of additional education above the Baccalaureate Degree level may be substituted for one year of the required management/administrative analytic work.
- License/Certificates: Possession of a valid California driver's license
-Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Analytical Thinking - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
- Collaboration - develops networks and builds alliances; engages in cross-functional activities.
- Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Problem Solving - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
- Thinking Strategically - formulates strategies that are achievable, cost-effective, and address organizational goals by themselves or in coordination with other strategies.
- Team Work & Interpersonal Skills - demonstrates a positive attitude and flexibility along with the ability to develop effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills.
- Management/Supervisory Skills ¿ Experience supervising, training, leading, mentoring, completing performance evaluations, and providing career development to staff.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1. Do you have experience related to the collection of or the performance of audit functions associated with Municipal tax revenue programs? If yes, please include the details related to the experience you have including number of years working on each function.
2. Do you have experience with workflow planning and managing multiple projects at the same time? If so, please describe your experience and steps taken to deliver a final work product. Include your specific role and responsibilities and provide an example of an accomplishment or process improvement that you achieved.
3. Do you have experience supervising employees? If yes, please describe the scope of your responsibilities (i.e. number of management and non-management employees (direct and in-direct reports), employee training and safety, assignment of work, evaluating performance, team building, etc.). Please also include your experience in providing growth opportunities for the employees you directly and indirectly supervised.
4. Senior Analysts are responsible for preparing a wide array of written documents and reports ranging from simple informational summaries to complex analytical memorandums and reports. Do you have experience preparing these types of communications? If so, please describe.
5. Do you have experience in setting objectives, coordinating activities and monitoring results of third party contracted individuals in the performance of any agreed upon procedures (i.e., complex tax revenue compliance audits, etc.)?
You may answer these questions directly in the on-line application system or on a separate document and then cut and paste your answers into the appropriate spaces when prompted.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Rachel Vanderveen at email@example.com.
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
Employees in this classification are represented by City Association of Management Personnel (CAMP).
City of San Jose - 16 months ago