Wheeling Jesuit is one of 28 Jesuit colleges and universities in the country offering more than 30 undergraduate programs of study and six graduate degrees. We provide a Jesuit, Catholic, liberal arts education, and our affordable programs unite the Jesuit tradition of intellectual excellence allowing students to receive an education for life, leadership and service with and among others. Forbes Magazine ranks WJU in the top 10% of all colleges in the nation. Again this past year WJU was named a regional leader in the US News and World Report. The 65 acre campus is situated on the Ohio River 50 miles south of Pittsburgh, in Wheeling, WV.
CyGaMEs is housed within the Center for Educational Technologies on the campus of Wheeling Jesuit University. The Center recently relocated to the campus’s beautiful Robert C. Byrd National Technology Transfer Center building. The Center for Educational Technologies improves the teaching and learning of science, technology, engineering, and math by designing and creating curriculum supplements, spearheading public outreach, providing professional development, and performing educational research and evaluation. Center services are used by federal and state agencies, foundations, school districts, corporations, and individual educators. The center is home to the NASA-sponsored Classroom of the Future, the space agency's principal research and development center for educational technologies. The Center opened on the Wheeling Jesuit University campus in 1990. The Center also houses the Challenger Learning Center®, which provides students, teachers, and adult learners with simulations that emphasize teamwork, problem-solving, decision-making, and communication skills. The Challenger Learning Center in Wheeling is one of 48 centers worldwide established by the Challenger Center for Space Science in memory of the space shuttle Challenger. More than 30,000 students fly missions each year either at the Wheeling facility or through distance learning. The Challenger Learning Center has been honored nine years for having served the most children of all the centers.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Senior Application Developer will conduct and manage CyGaMEs programming efforts in migrating Selene II from Flash/Flex to HTML5. CyGaMEs is a nationally recognized, awarded, and cutting-edge approach to instructional game design and embedded assessment currently conducting research using its instructional game Selene: A Lunar Construction GaME (version II, visit
for more information). The senior application HTML5 developer will program, test, and deploy the game and interstitial components as HTML5 to interface with the existing Selene II middleware and database; follow industry standard procedures for traceability, testing, development, deployment (as determined by the senior application programmer) including documentation; and advise, design, develop, deploy, and test any required new components or projects. This position will end with the conclusion of NSF funding CyGaMEs on August 31, 2013.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, game design and development, or related field including databases plus HTML5 expertise and four (4) or more years’ experience in the field designing, testing, and deploying complex Flash/Flex, HTML5, and/or related applications and databases as well as their user interfaces. (or) Bachelor’s degree with coursework in programming, game design and development, or related field plus HTML5 experience and four (4) or more years’ experience in the field designing, testing, and deploying complex Flash/Flex, HTML5, and/or related applications and databases as well as their user interfaces. Master’s degree preferred.
- Documented, extensive experience developing using HTML5, MS SQL
- Knowledge of PHP and .Net and sound coding practices
- Documentation skills and practice
- Preferred qualifications include documented success migrating Flash/Flex (especially database-driven games) to HTML5, degrees and/or commensurate industry experience in game design and development, coursework in game development, design, and/or HTML5 and mobile apps, expertise with game engines, Flash/Flex expertise, and facility with IOS, Android, Visual Studio 2012, and .Net.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 11, 2013
- Migrates the existing CyGaMEs Selene Flash/Flex game, front and back end components, and any other components as required to HTML5, interfacing with the existing middleware and database.
- Follows all specifications and team lead(s) without deviation. (Developed product must be exact migration of existing product: gameplay, data, resources).
- Applies independent judgment, discretion and analysis in coordinating, developing and designing computerized information systems solutions for the migration
- Defines and develops practical information system specifications utilizing pseudo-code, flowcharts, block diagrams, charts and layouts for solutions to problems.
- Confers with project PI, senior application programmer, and end users and studies effectiveness of systems flow, data usage and manual or automated processes to identify ineffective or inefficient systems.
- Maintains awareness of state-of-the-art HTML5 and mobile application development tools, programming techniques, problem solving techniques and computing equipment.
- Participates in certain aspects of end user consulting, systems analysis, general systems design, vendor contracts and detail systems design.
- Designs and implements code to develop software that will advance the project to its goals.
- Meets deliverables according to specifications within milestone and deliverable deadlines.
- Manages, for self and any staff or students assigned to support CyGaMEs HTML5, project product development, testing, or deployment.
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS: Application material must include:
Wheeling Jesuit University
- Letter of application describing your relevant experience
- Current resume
- Contact information for three to five references to:
Director of Human Resources or
316 Washington Avenue
Wheeling WV 26003
AS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, WE ENCOURAGE APPLICATIONS FROM QUALIFIED VIETNAM ERA VETERANS, DISABLED INDIVIDUALS, MINORITIES, AND WOMEN
InsideHigherEd.com - 23 months ago