The Strategic Buyer is responsible for managing the external supply base of assigned commodities to achieve the company’s business objectives, which includes coordinating and executing purchasing transactions, investigating and developing sources of supplies, preparing bid specifications, issuing bid requests and reviewing quotes. Additionally, you will interpret purchasing procedures to departments and vendors, as a specialist in assigned categories.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
o Places initial purchase orders from approved requisitions.
- Prepares requests for proposals, solicits quotations, evaluates bids, negotiates prices, and negotiates terms with suppliers in support of company objectives. Selects suppliers based on total cost of ownership including quality and delivery performance.
- Manages relationships with assigned suppliers to optimize performance including developing supplier report cards, supporting quality & delivery improvement, and organizing key supplier meetings.
- Selects suppliers for new products and utilizes ERP to ensure material availability in support of the production schedule on new products.
o Manages transition of new suppliers to the Planning group.
- Develops an annual cost reduction and cash flow improvement plan for assigned commodity categories and executes the plan.
- Performs other tactical duties as required to optimize material flow such as DMT management, processing engineering changes, maintaining data integrity in the ERP system, etc.
- Assists in supplier management including risk management, commodity strategy development, inventory management, and major problem resolution with assigned suppliers.
- Supports continuous improvement of procurement processes.
o Able to interact with all functional areas and all organizational levels
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain Management, Business, Engineering, Marketing or related field of study
- 3-8 years of related business or manufacturing experience of which at least 2 years is in strategic procurement.
- Full understanding of fabrication & machining processes
- Experience with material planning in an ERP environment
- Experience managing internal and external supplier relationships
- Must be able to analyze problems and develop improvement plans
- Working knowledge of sound procurement practices
- Ability to read basic blueprints
- Ability to plan, organize, and manage multiple projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
o Able to represent the company to suppliers at all levels of management
- Proficiency in use of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Proficient knowledge of ERP systems, such as BAAN, Oracle, JDE, or SAP
- Experience in lean and/or Six Sigma improvement methodologies is a plus
- Exposure to MS Access is highly desirable
- Exposure to MS Project Management is a plus
George Konik Associates - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard