A Senior Chemist is responsible for research and development of marine coatings, preparing paint samples, application and technical performance testing and writing reports regularly. It also involves supervising work of other chemists and technicians as well as providing technical advice and support to the team and others in the organization.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare paint samples and conduct testing required for the projects
- Write project reports, TSOD, and other project related documents
- Manage a small team of chemists and technicians
- Provide batch supervision for plant batches supervised by R&T.
- Manage multiple projects related to raw material evaluations, value engineering, product testing, complaint investigation and sales support
- Requires the ability to interact directly with the Sales team to provide updates and output from projects
- Will require occasional visits to shipyards
- Will require interaction with the factory and factory technical teams
- Chemical handling, chemical hygiene plan, TSCA, DOT, REACH, proper shipping of chemicals, proper chemical compatibility/segregation, etc.
- Participate and contribute in Health & Safety, Security and Environmental activities (SAFE Meetings, BBS Observer, HS&E Training, Housekeeping, 5S, Recycling, Waste Management, etc.)
What can AkzoNobel offer you?
- Bachelors degree
- Five years of coating experience
- Knowledge and understanding of coatings science and technology
- Understanding of coatings application and testing using ASTM standards, ISO standards, and other standards as necessary
- Familiar with safe operation and maintenance of laboratory and application equipment
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Strong mathematical skills
- Good organizational skills
- Willing and able to work around hazardous materials or smelling paint fumes
- Computer literate
Employee is expected perform these company success factors:
- Helps the customer
- Achieves expected results on time
- Understands the need to learn
- Open to change and new ideas
- Fulfills responsibilities in expected style
We offer competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, Short-term & Long-term Disability, 401(k) with immediate company match, Tuition Reimbursement, and much more.
Must be eligible to work in the United States. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation and pre-employment drug screening required. Environmentally-responsible business. Phone calls will not be accepted.
Akzo Nobel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.