Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook Medicine is Suffolk County's only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Descriptive Title: Senior Clerical Specialist
Budget Title: same as above
Research Foundation Support Position
RF Line#: R3388000
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Salary: $44,000 - $48,000
Required Qualifications: Associate's Degree in Accounting, Business or a Finance related field. Minimum five years of full-time progressively responsible administrative experience in Accounts Payable, Accounting, Business or Finance related field. Computer proficiency required including email, and Microsoft Excel and Word. Minimum three years of supervisory experience. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Preferred Qualifications: Bachelor's degree. Additional years of experience in an accounts payable, accounting, business or finance-related field. Additional years of experience in a higher education/university setting.
Brief Description of Duties: The Senior Clerical Specialist serves as the supervisor for the State payable area of the Procurement Office. This position supports the State accounts payable operations, and the issuance of payments. The selected candidate will:
- Process and input more problematic state and contract payment vouchers. This process requires a more in-depth analysis and detailed review of procurement documentation including purchase orders, contracts, vendor invoicing, merchandise receiving reports and other relevant documentation terms, conditions and funding. Strict adherence to all OSC, SUNY, and campus policies and procedures is required to ensure appropriate expenditure of funds. After having been reviewed, payments are input into either Wolfmart or SUNY Web application with particular attention paid to information/data input accuracy.
- Supervise clerical staff in all aspects of the State accounts payable and LISVH payment processes. Oversee staff's workload and assignments. Produce activity reports and Wolfmart queries as a tool to monitor and evaluate each staff member's performance. Draft and present annual employee evaluations. Review and approve bi-weekly timesheets.
- Candidate is required to create or download and maintain reports to be used as a tool to both track employee performance and to maintain information relevant to voucher payments. Such reporting will require an in-depth knowledge of the OSC, SUNY, and Wolfmart reporting modules.
- Communicate with vendors, campus departments and University faculty, staff and administrators to clarify and resolve payment issues and discrepancies. The incumbent will also be required to communicate and interact with various State agencies including OSC and SUNY.
- Train new staff members on all system applications including, but not limited to SUNY Web, SUNY Legancy, Wolfmart and SFS systems. As new components of the Wolfmart system are rolled out the candidate will be required to train the staff in the new procedures. The candidate may also be asked to lead or participate in accounts payable training sessions offered to the campus community.
- The candidate will be responsible for creating new policies/procedures and updating existing policies/procedures that will be approved by the Assistant and Associate Director.
- Assist in the year-end lapsing fund process to close out and disencumber purchase order/contract encumbrances.
Special Notes: This is a full time position, 37.5 hours per week, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Research Foundation of SUNY is a private educational corporation. Employment is subject to the Research Foundation policies and procedures, sponsor guidelines and the availability of funding. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Stony Brook University
- 13 months ago - save job