Positions in this classification are designed to provide services in connection with legislative analysis, research, communications, and written information and other related matters as needed and requested by the appointing Council Member. Each appointment to this classification is for a specified period of time to be determined by the appointing Council Member and does not extend past the end of the elected official's or appointing authority's term.
- Advises the Councilmember on policy, budget and community matters
- Manages the day to day office operations
- Supervises staff to implement office projects and achieve identified objectives
- Manages Human Resources and Staffing to include hiring, workloads, training, performance evaluations, and corrective or disciplinary actions.
- Oversees budgetary, legislative and strategic planning processes
- Manages communications and public relations, interfacing with media, governmental officials, department directors, business leaders, advocacy groups, constituents, and others on behalf of the councilmember
- Respond to other matters as needed.
The ideal candidate will offer the following abilities and knowledge, as demonstrated in employment history or other experience:
- Education: Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university.
- Experience: One or more years of experience as staff to an elected official is highly desirable
- Writing and Computer Skills: Strong writing skills are essential. Ability to write in a concise, direct, professional style is a must. A writing sample will be administered during the interview process
- Bilingual language skills and oral and written skills are desirable.
- Ability to write letters, city memoranda, and policy papers in a concise, professional style with minimal assistance from other office staff and quick turn around times.
- Ability to work in a team environment with other staff members in a small office.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced work environment with changing priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to maintain a positive and professional demeanor when working in public.
- Ability to carry out and promote the Council member's agenda and direction regardless of personal philosophies.
- Ability to work in the evenings and on weekends as needed.
- Knowledge of economic development principles and land use policy.
- Knowledge of public information, media relations, and community outreach skills; ability to plan, organize, facilitate, and implement public meetings and events.
- Knowledge of the City of San José, city government functions and the city council legislative process.
- Strong understanding of Human Relations issues and sensitivities
Any combination of training and experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to advise the Council member on matters of public policy, democratic process, constituent service or citizen involvement.
1. Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application, resume and answers to the job-specific questions. You must answer all job-specific questions and complete the Education/Work History section of the application in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration. Only those candidates whose backgrounds best match the positions will be forwarded to the interview phase of the selection process.
E-mail will be the default method of correspondence with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notifications regarding your application status for this recruitment, please enter a primary e-mail address when submitting your application.
You will be prompted to answer the following questions in the online application process:
Job Specific Questions
Answers that say "see resume" are not complete answers and the job specific questions will be deemed incomplete.
1. Do you have any knowledge and experience in recruiting, selecting, training and supervising staff for an elected official? If Yes, please describe your knowledge and experience in this area including your specific role and responsibilities.
2. Do you have any experience in administering the office budget, including grants management, for an elected official? If Yes, please provide information regarding your experience including the governmental agency, elected official, your role and contributions in support of the priorities and goals of the office.
3. Do you have any legislative experience advising an elected official regarding City government, services, and issues: a) Operating and Capital budgets; b) Land Use planning; c) Economic Development ; d) Public Safety; e) Transportation; f) Neighborhood and Community Services (parks, recreation, library, etc.); g) Housing; h) Employee Relations? If Yes, please provide information regarding your experience including the governmental agency, elected official, your role and contributions in support of the priorities and goals of the office in each subject area. If you do not have specific experience in an area, please note that in your response.
4. Do you have experience managing multiple work assignments and projects? If Yes, please describe your work style and the techniques you use to manage your responsibilities and your desk.
5. Do you have any meeting and event planning experience? If Yes, please describe one or two examples of meetings and events which you've planned and carried out, including any lessons learned from your successes and failures.
6. Do you have any experience with media and public relations? If Yes, please describe two examples of your media and public relations experience and your philosophy of dealing with the media and the public while representing an elected official.
7. Do you have any experience with research projects (collecting, compiling, analyzing, interpreting data) and presenting written and oral reports? If Yes, please describe one or two examples of projects including your role and contributions to the report; subject, audience, recommendations or findings, presentation methods, and the outcomes achieved.
8. Do you have any community relations experience? If Yes, please describe your experience and provide two examples of your experience and accomplishments, particularly as it relates to working with community members, neighborhood and business associations, other community stakeholders, and their issues/concerns.
This classification is part of Executive Management (MGT).
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. If you do not receive the confirmation, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.