If you want to work with multi-billion row datasets on a daily basis to deliver insights to business partners, this is the role for you!
Netflix is growing fast and using the best new technologies to ensure scalability and performance. This generates big data, and the Data Science and Engineering organization is responsible for driving the business forward by leveraging these rich data sources.
The Device Analytics team partners directly with Engineering teams and Product Managers to report / mine / analyze data pertaining to the use of a variety of devices including computers, tablets, game consoles, TVs, and other consumer electronics. We analyze in-field device performance, do deep dives to understand member usage on different devices, keep track of the device ecosystem, and do cohort studies to measure engagement and retention. We also ensure that necessary data is captured, analytic needs are well-defined up front, and development timelines are coordinated with analytic needs.
Example analysis projects
- How do engagement and retention compare between members who favor watching Netflix on Xbox versus the Wii or PS3?
- What adaptive bitrate streaming patterns do we see across various devices, and which are outlying and indicate streaming performance problems?
- How can we enrich our standard performance and usage metrics in our MicroStrategy dashboards and push reports?
Who you are
We look for analysts who can hit the ground running. Generally that means you need a minimum of five years of experience in an analytic role - ideally with some of that time in a web-based or technology company.
You will do well in this role if you are:
- Energetic, enthusiastic, detail-oriented, and passionate about producing high-quality analysis
- Proficient at bridging the gap between disparate data sets and shaping data to be useful for answering the question at hand
- Able to tell the story of data both visually and with words, and can adapt to the audience as necessary
- Able to identify multiple possible ways of solving a problem and have the experience to know the trade-offs between the approaches
- Able to multitask and work on multiple ongoing projects, with minimal oversite, documentation, and defined process
- Comfortable presenting and explaining analysis at the executive level
We need you to have:
- Extensive experience with analytic tools supporting data analysis and reporting. We primarily use Teradata, Excel, Tableau, MicroStrategy, Pig, and Hive. We’re actively investigating RedShift, Shark, Druid, and other cloud-scale and real-time analytic tools.
- An understanding of high-level product architecture and data flow patterns.
- SQL ninja skills - it's easier for you to write a query than to spell your name
- Even better if you named your dog OLAP and your cat Mapjoin.
- Hive and Pig experience is strongly preferred but you can also learn them in this role.
- MicroStrategy experience is preferred, but experience with other reporting tools such as Crystal Reports, SQL Server Reporting Services, or Business Objects is a good substitute.
- Ideally, experience with cohort analysis, churn and retention analysis, measuring engagement, and controlling for bias.
- Bonus points for:
- Experience with ETL
- Experience with Amazon AWS
- Python or Java experience
- Exposure to application development, web and streaming technologies
Surprise us - a degree in CS is not a requirement. Candidates with degrees in CS, MIS, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics or other quantitative fields thrive in this role, but we have great analysts that don’t have these backgrounds.
A few more things to know:
Our culture is unique and we live by our values, so it’s worth learning more about Netflix at jobs.netflix.com/. You will need to be comfortable working in the most agile of environments. Requirements will be vague. Iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks.
Netflix - 17 months ago
Netflix, Inc. is an online movie rental subscription service in the United States, providing approximately 7.5 million subscribers access to...