SR. DESIGN ENGINEER, OPTICAL
POSITION OVERVIEW : LI-COR Biosciences is looking for a creative and innovative senior level Optical Engineer to join our team of expert engineers and scientists to develop the next generation of high performance optical imaging systems for our Biotechnology product line for use in proteomics research and other imaging applications.
QUALIFICATIONS OVERVIEW: The ideal candidate will have a BS in Optical Sciences, Optical Engineering or Electrical Engineering, (MS or higher preferred), and 7+ years of optical design experience (5+ with a MS or higher) in the optical design, development and testing of optical and electronic instrumentation deployed in laboratory environments. They will have very strong knowledge of and experience with: geometrical optics; optical imaging; image analysis; fluorescence (fluorescence of near-IR dyes a plus); filter selection and specification; CCD’s and other photodetectors; other optical component design, selection, characterization and testing; optical simulation software (TracePro and OSLO a plus); optical background suppression methods. Must: have very strong analytical and problem solving skills; have a high level of technical knowledge; be highly motivated by technical opportunities and challenges; be a finisher; be experienced in optical design, setup, experimentation, testing, troubleshooting. Knowledge and experience of other engineering disciplines (EE, ME, SW) a plus.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION: Create, design, specify, build, test, and support optical systems and subsystems from the component level to the system level for LI-COR Biosciences’ products in a multi-disciplined, dynamic, concurrent development team setting. Participate in product requirement definition, optical system architecture development, design and development, testing verification and production support for products in the Biotechnology and/or Environmental Divisions.
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in Optics, Optical Engineering, Optical Science, Physics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or their equivalent is required.
B. EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
· Minimum 7 years; experience with BS, 5 years with MS, or proven performance in designing optical instrumentation.
· Demonstrated knowledge and creative abilities in the design and specification of optical systems and subsystems from the component level to the system level.
· Demonstrated experience with, and a thorough understanding of, optical filtering including thin film technologies.
· Demonstrated skills using optical modeling software tools such as ZEMAX and OpTaliX.
· Sustained record of independent creative design activity and expertise with optical systems and subsystems.
· Sustained record of product development and problem solving experience.
· Ability to mentor and train others to accomplish technical goals.
· Thorough and strong understanding of optical engineering fundamentals and principles.
· Solid understanding of optical design, component specification, development, testing, and design for manufacturability.
· Self-starter and highly motivated. Enjoys challenges. Proven drive to achieve goals.
· Creative. High insight, curiosity and problem solving ability. High attention to detail.
· Demonstrated ability to make sound engineering decisions.
· Good interpersonal and networking skills.
· Team player. Enjoys and works well with other people in a team environment.
· Effective oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to communicate with customers, co-workers, manufacturers.
· Dependable, positive attitude and good attendance.
· High ethics, integrity, honesty, patience.
· Willingness to travel--to trade shows, technical conferences, customer sites. Occasional overnight and some international travel may be required.
· Optical design team leader in the design, specification, development and testing of optical components, subsystems and systems, for the development of production instrumentation for both the Environmental and Biotechnology product lines.
· Participate in and lead product requirement definition and optical architecture development.
· Interface with customers and marketing personnel to define product features and functions.
· Interact with both internal and external manufacturers to support new product designs and current product manufacture.
· Design and validate procedures for evaluating the performance of various optical components, subsystems and systems.
· Develop efficient optical alignment and performance testing procedures and fixtures for manufacturing.
· Direct and/or perform system testing to ensure the product meets specifications and expectations.
· Support the manufacture of both current and future LI-COR products.
· Mentor and train other engineers.
· Generate and maintain engineering specifications and documentation.
· Review trade publications for new parts, techniques and ideas.
· Attend conferences and/or user sites to understand user needs and competitive landscape.
· Light Work-Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly.
· Other job related duties as assigned