Sogefi Engine Systems USA, Inc. (formerly Mark IV AIC) is an OEM Tier 1 supplier specializing in the design and manufacture of high-tech plastic components for combustion engines: air intake and cooling systems. We are seeking a Sr. Designer specializing in UniGraphics to join our R&D facility located in Rochester Hills, MI. The Designer is an integral part of the design team. The Designer must work with the Design Engineer to develop and model the part that meets the function. The Designer does not work for the Engineer, but works with the Engineer. It is implied that the Designer must give input and ideas for design solutions, not to simply take the design from the Engineer and create the CAD model. The Designer in most cases will take a product from concept to release, and therefore must feel and participate as a team player.
- Responsible for the creation of UniGraphics CAD models as directed by the Design Engineer.
- Responsible for the creation of accurate and good quality UniGraphics CAD models that are acceptable for manufacturing.
- Minimum of UniGraphics CAD Level 4 ability: Expert, able to model complex parts including complex surface definition.
- Must understand the function of the design as explained by the Design Engineer. It is the incumbent's responsibility to question the engineer until the function/design is understood. It is implied that by meeting the function the part is also packagable within the allotted space.
- Meet timing requirements as communicated by the Engineer or Supervisor. Give adequate notice if there are CAD related timing concerns.
- Responsible to understand and use appropriate GD&T principles and methods in the design process.
- Responsible for creation of part drawings as requested by the Design Engineer with correct GD&T methodology.
- Must keep oneself up to date of the latest UniGraphics CAD software functionality and methods.
- Must understand the basic impacts on the part design due to injection molding, i.e. making the part manufacturable.
- Requires willingness and ability to assist other Designers with CAD and design related issues.
- Requires minimal amount of Engineers time on CAD and UniGraphics CAD software related issues.
- Position requires the ability for possible international travel.
Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelors Degree and/or 4+ years of experience.
- UniGraphics CAD software experience to create models with accuracy and good quality.
- Understands the function and design of the part.
- Knowledge of GD&T principles and methods are necessary throughout the design phase, including part drawing layouts.
- Fundamental and thorough knowledge of injection molding and tool design, along with the basic implications of using plastic as the base material.
- Must have a thorough understanding of product design principles and problem-solving techniques.
- Requires good interpersonal skills to communicate with engineers, customers, suppliers, and peers.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and make decisions in order to accomplish jobs in an efficient manner.