Mission Economic Development Agency - Building on its 39-year history, MEDA is advancing innovative approaches to asset development. Its efforts are focused on serving low-income, Spanish-speaking San Franciscans. Our direct service programs serve 6,000 individuals each year through homeownership counseling and foreclosure intervention, business development, digital literacy, workforce development, financial education and free tax preparation. We also devote resources to research and evaluation, community organizing and advocacy. In the process, MEDA is helping to develop best practices in the field.
In December 2012, MEDA was awarded a 5-year, $30 million implementation grant from the Department of Education to implement the Mission Promise Neighborhood, a neighborhood based effort to improve education and create family economic stability for in the Mission District through a cradle- to college- to career continuum of services. This initiative involves 26 community based organization partners, as well as City of San Francisco government agencies, the San Francisco Unified School District, and the Mayors Office of San Francisco as close collaborators in the implementation effort. MEDA is the lead agency, fiscal agent and project manager for the Mission Promise Neighborhood.
Job Description Overview MEDA is seeking a highly motivated, effective, and experienced fundraiser for this position . The Senior Development Officer-Individual Donors will play an important role in building the sustainability of the Mission Promise Neighborhood. Specifically, this position will be focused on cultivating individual donors for contributions to MEDA and the Mission Promise Neighborhood. While focused on individual donors, this position may also include fund development with, foundations, corporations and government agencies both locally in the Bay Area, and nationwide. This position will be supervised by MEDAs Director of Development.
The Senior Development Officer-Individual Donors responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Fundraising & Individual Donor Cultivation
- Research individual donor prospects in the Bay Area and nationwide, and create and implement strategic plan to build funding relationships with the Mission Promise Neighborhood
- Identify and continuously update comprehensive prospects list for individual donors; make initial introductions with prospects and perform research through internet, phone, and in person opportunities
- Cultivate and solicit individual donors for support
- Write grants, introductory letters, sponsorship letters, and other solicitations for funding.
- As part of the development team, contribute to the design and implementation of foundation, corporate, and individual donor fundraising efforts
- With Marketing & Events Coordinator, develop and implement frequent events to build relationship and cultivate prospective individual donors
- Working with the Volunteer Manager, create pathways for prospective donors to become involved in the Mission Promise Neighborhood through volunteerism, in-kind donations, sponsorships and other avenues
- Contribute to implementation of all strategies for all fund development efforts to support the organization's general operations and the Mission Promise Neighborhood
- Develop and enhance MEDAs relationships with key constituencies via networking, public speaking, and other relationship-building activities
- Create and manage direct mail campaigns for MEDA and the Mission Promise Neighborhood
- Create and manage online fundraising campaigns for MEDA and the Mission Promise Neighborhood
- Interact with MEDA Board, MPN Advisory Board and other strategic supporters in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of individual donor prospects
Abilities, Skills and Qualifications
- Contribute to grants & donations management activities, ensuring outcomes and deliverables are met in tandem with program staff
- Work closely with finance staff to ensure reconciliation of all contributed income and tracking of revenue, pledges and gifts.
- Manage donor database, gift tracking, and follow up procedures
- Minimum 4 years of experience in nonprofit fundraising with successful track record of raising funds from individuals
- Excellent writing and editing skills, demonstrated through completion of an on-site writing test.
- Substantial experience designing and implementing comprehensive fundraising plans for a variety of funding streams including major gifts, corporate, foundation, government and annual giving
- Demonstrated ability to effectively engage staff and board in solicitation and cultivation activities.
- Experience in and extensive knowledge of the Bay Area philanthropy community required.
- Experience working in low income communities of color a plus.
- Past experience with sales and marketing a plus.
- Experience working in deadline-driven environments.
MEDA offers a highly competitive salary and benefits package. Salary is determined based on qualifications and experience.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and deliver persuasive and clear written and verbal communications.
- Strong presentation and networking skills.
- The ability to develop and understand program and organizational budgets.
- Masters degree in related field preferred.
If interested, please send your resume, writing sample, and track record of successful donor cultivation to: email@example.com
- 2 years ago - save job
MEDA is a community-based economic development corporation located in the Mission District of San Francisco. For over 38 years MEDA has...