Responsible for optimizing and leading the overall supply chain operations for Second Harvest Food Bank. The Senior Director/VP of Operations will formulate strategy, implement plans and continuously improve the end-to-end supply chain operations to achieve the Food Bank’s short and long-range business objectives. Oversight areas include food acquisition, food distribution, inventory control systems and use of technology within the organization and in the efficient and effective distribution of food to the food insecure population of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties.
As a member of the Leadership Team, works closely with the CEO, Senior Director of Programs and Services, direct reports and other senior leaders to achieve the Food Bank’s Mission.
- Optimize the end-to-end supply chain to increase community impact by the Food Bank. Collaborate across all Food Bank programs and operations to develop and implement business process improvements (BPI) as it relates to supply chain strategies while utilizing best practices to achieve the best deployment of available facilities, people and funds.
- Develop goals, performance metrics, and performance management tools for overall supply chain operations. Mentor staff in the creation and implementation of metrics to achieve process improvements. Work with Leadership Team and Human Resources in the area of organizational
development of staff capabilities, fostering better decision making, problem solving, teamwork, individual initiative, customer-service orientation and personal responsibility for generating business results. Develop a supply chain organization that enables growth in Food Bank operations and develops talent that drives improvement in service.
- Oversee and improve existing IT infrastructure, by working with Chief Technology Officer to manage IT systems to drive productivity, lower costs, improve service and eliminate data entry errors in all areas of the business. This position is the executive sponsor for all supply chain initiated IT projects.
- Oversee the effective acquisition and deployment of a Food Bank owned transportation fleet and the supporting resources. Oversee facility maintenance (including construction projects), food handling safety and safety procedures in general. Ensure Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP’s) and processes to manage food industry traceability requirements are in place.
- A four-year college degree in industrial engineering, math, science, business administration, supply chain management or equivalent is required. MBA is desirable.
- Professional certification from APICS and/or ISM and knowledge of Six Sigma, Theory of Constraints and Lean approaches to operations management is desirable.
- Minimum of 10 years industry experience and proven track record in managing supply chain operations in food manufacturing, consumer packaged goods, retail food distribution or related field. This should include experience with supply and demand planning, inventory management, procurement, distribution, operations and transportation logistics. Experience in produce distribution a plus.
- Experience and demonstrable skill in leading, managing or implementing the IT functions for an organization, with specific experience in defining, documenting and automating existing processes via the use of technology.
- Minimum of 7 years of creative and inspired leadership experience supervising senior management and front- line supervisors. Highly developed interpersonal and coaching skills; ability to build trust-based relationships inside and outside the organization.
Feeding America - 12 months ago