Senior Director, ADM- Digital Content and Connectivity
Job Number: 12000001QH
As the world becomes ever more connected and social, the opportunities for technology to revolutionize the ways in which Best Buy interacts with customers and employees is expanding exponentially. In this new world there is huge market opportunity for companies that can move quickly to bring new customer experiences and offerings to market and control the increasing systems complexity. Our Information Technology organization is transforming by expanding the internal team structure and the capabilities necessary to drive the IT strategy, architecture and technology solutions that support Best Buy's growth.
We seek a high-energy, results-focused leader for a high-visibility role to lead the entire portfolio of application development and maintenance activities associated with the systems that drive Best Buy's emerging connectivity and digital content business models: wireless activations, video/internet access services, and digital content (music/movies/gaming) activations and downloads. This role will be responsible for building out existing capabilities and for delivering new system capabilities against an annualized investment and operations portfolio of $60+ million, operating and managing 40+ systems and applications, leading a team of 25-30 dedicated employees and over 300 3rd party contractors. This role will be part of the IT Application Development and Maintenance (ADM) leadrship organization and will report directly into the vice president responsible for global ADM within Best Buy.
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate:
This position also acts as a functional and technical leader for application development and management, representing the needs of both business and application development teams. The job holder must partner closely with 3rd party providers as part of a seamless IT organization chartered to deliver IT services and process capabilities. The successful candidate must be highly effective and influential in a matrix structure of functional business areas and outsourced IT services.
- An ability to deliver multiple software development programs very quickly and with high quality in a large organization while balancing pragmatism and process;
- An excellent grasp of technology and be able to demonstrate how they have introduced technology to solve business issues;
- Excellent leadership skills and staff retention. Although the IT team will be comprised of a combination of employees and contractors this person will be expected to paint a compelling vision of the business goals and a way of doing development that excites and motivates the teams to excel in their delivery.
Position responsibilities include:
Acting to maximize profitability for Best Buy by defining a product strategy that decreases costs, increases profitability and furthers the goals of the capability
- Directly building, managing and leading a team focused and aligned on delivering world-class system capabilities to support Best Buy's emerging connectivity and digital content businesses
- Providing direct leadership to multiple directors and senior managers and working collaboratively with other senior directors to help institute world class IT delivery for a Fortune 100 company
- Coordinating across 20+ external partners (wireless carriers, video/internal providers, content providers, etc.) to ensure alignment of capacities, capabilities and release cycles
- Defining and delivering global application roadmaps and technology platforms for our connectivity and digital content businesses with features and capabilities that support Best Buy's strategies
- Reviewing on-going capability enhancement requests and working with your capability teams to sequence the delivery of these appropriately in system roadmaps
- Leading application development and support vendor identification, evaluation, and selection to staff project delivery roles that meet delivery standards across quality, throughput, and budgetary\return-on-investment goals
- Owning direct accountability for overall project/program delivery of your capability teams and vendors ensuring the successful execution and delivery of projects that meet scope, timing, and cost goals
- Collaborating with capability and enterprise architects to leverage enterprise standards and to drive our application portfolios toward a simpler, more streamlined set of platforms
- Managing overall operational stability of the applications supporting Best Buy's connectivity and digital content businesses and driving continued focus on operational excellence and cost optimization
- Partnering with enterprise architects to deliver technical innovations and progressing these ideas from concepts to experiments to scaled models with focus on flexibility, reuse, and overarching extensibility
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- 12 or more years of IT systems experience in one or more of the following areas, with demonstrated progression of responsibilities:
- Application delivery
- Application management
- IT/system product design and product strategy
- Business process reengineering
- 6 or more years of IT management experience
- 6 or more years experience in a leadership role with direct reports and people management responsibilities
- 6 or more years of experience managing and being accountable for budgets
Job: Information Systems
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in IT, Computer Science, business or related field
- Prior IT experience implementing large scale vendor integration systems or other large program implementation
- 6 or more years of experience gathering business needs and creating into workable outcomes
- 6 or more years experience in business process and/or technology implementation
- 5 or more years experience managing third party vendor relationships and offshore development teams to achieve business outcomes
- 5 or more years experience at a manager level or above delivering global IT capabilities for a multi-national company with annual budgetary responsibilities in excess of $20 million and teams larger than 200.
- 5 or more years experience at a manager level in a multi-channel brand business environment
- Multiple years of experience with digital content and connections technologies, methods and approaches
- Prior experience in working with organizational change management/leadership and process change management.
Primary Location: United States-MN-Minneapolis
Organization: Best Buy US
Job Posting: Jul 2, 2012
Best Buy - 17 months ago
Best Buy Co., Inc. (Best Buy) is a specialty retailer of consumer electronics, home office products, entertainment software, appliances and...