Sr. Engineer - The Senior (Transport Planning) Engineer (NNS) will fulfill a non-supervisory role within the National Network Services Transport Planning organization. The position will participate in and support customer sold projects and network growth and evolution plans of the National Transport Network.
This work will be associated with a specific multi-state geographic region in the Eastern region of the United States. The output of this position's work will be a planning package (Scope of Work) that are directed to a field / design engineering team for implementation of the plan(s) through the procurement and installation of necessary network transport equipment.
- The functions of the position will include, but are not limited to, all elements of the core backbone and metropolitan networks, and Digital Cross-Connect systems (DCS).
- Manages network elements for voice and data networks and monitor and evaluate capacity utilization for these networks.
- Submit capacity triggers as necessary.
- Forecast and trend bandwidth growth to produce capacity triggers for bandwidth relief.
- Develop plans to augment capacity relief as needed.
- Trigger projects utilizing the most feasible, practical and economical means.
- Perform engineering work, applied research, development, and design of new projects, to include design, modification, evaluation of equipment, and devices.
- Skills specific to planning and/or engineering.
- Analyzes complex local and wide area network systems and/or customer network environment, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting operating systems and protocol suites.
- Configure communication media with concentrators, bridges, and other devices.
- Must be capable of handling moderately complex engineering assignments.
- Resolves difficult interoperability problems to obtain operation across all platforms including e-mail, files transfer, multimedia, and teleconferencing.
- Configures systems to user environments.
- Supports acquisition, implementation of hardware and software, as well as subcontractor services.
- May act as a technical project leader, or provide work leadership for lower level employees, excluding full supervisory responsibilities.
- Requires limited direction and guidance.
- Technical skills for the position include basic relevant engineering, and /or planning experience in areas including interdisciplinary network transport, SONET, wave division multiplexing, central office common systems (power, common terminations, office infrastructure, alarms).
- Handles outside plant, and general telecommunications engineering principles, as well as Federal, State, and Local regulations, that govern the placement of Telecommunication Equipment.
- The incumbent will have working experience with mechanized systems, designed to support transport planning and engineering processes including the Trunk Inventory Record Keeping System (TIRKS), CNDC ASPEN Portal, LCAM, Metasolv, Fireworks, and CORE or equivalent engineering systems.
- General skills for the Senior Transport Planning Engineer include, competent written and verbal communications skills, good interpersonal skills demonstrating patience in work with their peers, as well as practical negotiation skills.
- This position will reflect a high level of professionalism, and ethics in all activities.
- Additional requirements include knowledge of network transport planning processes and associated data analysis principles including capacity timing.
- A basic knowledge in one or more of the areas is needed as well as some practical technical experience working in the related function.
- Capital and expense budget management associated with the assigned geography requiring a monthly estimate of expenditures related to customer and growth projects.
- Basic Finance and Accounting concepts (GAAP) related to capital and expense project tracking and management.
CenturyLink is an industry-leading provider of communications, high speed Internet and entertainment services from coast to coast. Our combination of business and residential service solutions – including home and wireless voice solutions and digital television – provide innovative solutions to our customers. CenturyLink is proud to be a participant in the U.S. General Services Administration Networx program, the largest communications services contract in the world. CenturyLink offers you the opportunity to develop and cultivate your career as we lead the communications industry into the future.
The above job definition information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. Job duties and responsibilities are subject to change based on changing business needs and conditions.
CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the United States and is recognized as a leader in the network services...