Division: Production & Supply
Function: Engineering / Capital Projects
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Senior Engineering Project Manager - R & D
Job ID: 4290
For major capital projects throughout North America (NOAM):
1. Manage engineering capital projects ensuring the timely implementation of new or improved assets consistent with rapidly changing business requirements and within agreed cost, schedule and safety parameters.
2. Provide expert advice and direction to others by the timely application of technical and/or project management professionalism at key points in the project process.
Project Management is defined as "The planning, monitoring and control of all aspects of a project and the motivation of all those involved in it to achieve the project objectives on time and to the specified cost, quality, safety and performance."
Through a clear understanding of the business strategy, intent or requirements:
- Manage assigned engineering capital projects ranging from $100k up to $100mio (singularly or in aggregate)
- Lead multi-disciplinary teams; manage third-party design and construction contractors
- Influence and direct the scale, nature, timing and execution of capital investments to meet changing business requirements
- Define, estimate, deliver capital projects; track the costs and physical progress of individual capital projects to meet key project milestones and deliver agreed scope within challenging time constraints and within agreed cost and safety parameters
- Innovative, cost effective project engineering solutions through innovative execution strategy, integrated teams and internal/external benchmarking
- Control and coordination of discipline design activities; identification and specification of engineering standards for design, procurement and construction
- Set success criteria for projects; formulate and deliver project execution strategies ensuring successful delivery of the project through a project team (e.g. Syngenta staff, the design and construction contractors and equipment suppliers).
- Prepare robust, timely applications for capital approvals and coach site managers in the capital sanctioning process
- Ensure engineering designs comply with best practice standards, current and future legislative requirements, and Syngenta HSE guidelines
- Ensure full integration between all phases of assigned projects, including commissioning and start up activities and the design and construction phases
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Expertise in project scope definition, specification and RFP document development, capital cost estimation, cost control, contract negotiation and engineering contract management
- Expertise in all project management knowledge areas
- Ability to quickly learn the Syngenta project process and capital sanctioning process
- Knowledge of techniques of economic evaluation, including development of capital cost estimates and discounted cash flow financial analyses
- Experience in all phases of capital project generation, execution and commissioning
- Leadership and networking skills
- Undergraduate degree in engineering discipline (agricultural engineering preferred, although any discipline is acceptable) with 10-15 years or more of relevant project management experience; Project Management Professional certification through PMI a plus
- Experience in understanding, negotiating and administering contracts with outside entities
- Experience developing scope, specifications and RFP documents
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with and influence colleagues at all levels and operate effectively in a matrix organization
- Independent objectivity regarding standards
- Project management skills including development and evaluation, definition, design, procurement, construction, commissioning and handover
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Keen interest in maintaining technology and project management excellence
- Ability to effectively network with other Project Managers and Engineers from the global Engineering community
- Ability to form project teams and develop other team members to tackle challenging targets and to achieve those goals with limited resources and tight timelines
- Strong concern for maintaining HSE and Syngenta standards and technical integrity while under pressure to meet challenging targets and timelines
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Set direction
- Create edge
- Drive results
- Liberate potential
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Expected to be capable of assignment as Project Manager for mid to large-sized Syngenta projects within North America
- Maintain high levels of professional project delivery standards throughout the North American project management community
- Ensure robust process and integrity in capital sanctioning and expenditure
- Ensure that all project risks associated with assigned projects are properly assessed, communicated to responsible business management, and controlled to acceptable levels
- Maintain excellent relationships with managers, plant staff, peers, subordinates and other stakeholders to ensure their commitment to project objectives
- Flexible working hours at busy times may be required to support the business needs.
- Occasional overnight and multi-day trips (15% - 30%)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Climbing ladders/stairs
- Typical office environment and workstation
- Some time away from the office at construction sites where capital projects are situated
WORKING CONDITIONS WHILE PERFORMING ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Able to work outdoors in various weather conditions including sun, heat, rain or wind.
- Able to work in an agricultural field where the terrain may be uneven, muddy, dirty, or dry.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Must sign a Non-Compete if offered this position.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)
Syngenta - 7 months ago
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...