This position will be a member of the Corporate Engineering staff of SM Energy Company located in Denver, CO, which is comprised of managers, engineers, and engineering technicians. The key responsibility for this position is to provide support to the Corporate Engineering staff for the corporate reserves process as it relates to the reporting of SEC reserves. Additional involvement in processes may include assistance in technical evaluations and supporting of the Corporate Engineering SharePoint site. The Engineering Technician provides moderately complex technical, analytical and administrative support to the Engineering staff and serves as an integral technical support member. This position offers a unique opportunity for a highly motivated individual who is looking to learn and work in a fast paced environment. Responsibilities will also necessitate working closely with numerous departments including other regions, land, finance, tax, marketing, production accounting, etc.
Gather relevant information and assist engineers in the preparation of technical reports, analyses, evaluations and presentations and providing backup data utilizing research and database information as needed (may require advanced spreadsheet applications and skills)
Perform basic calculations and preliminary analyses of data in support of engineering studies
Provide goal tracking, performance management, decline curve analysis, Aries database updates and management, economic cash flow reports, one lines, and queries of data from the Aries system in support of the quarterly reserves cycles and other special projects. Maintenance and data entry of economics and master table information in the Master Aries database (20% of job responsibility).
Extract and analyze data and reporting from various internal systems including Aries, Excalibur, AVM, third party well data, including state regulatory and production data, IHS, and the SM Data Cube.
Provide supporting data to internal and external auditors.
Creation of OFM (oilfield manager) databases.
Provide document management and maintenance of technical department files, in both electronic and hardcopy formats.
Generate monthly reports based on standard procedures.
Technical support for Spotfire or other visualization tools utilized within the group.
Assist in researching and tracking of SEC Comment Letters
Conduct business with the highest ethical standards; demonstrate decision-making skills that ensure the safety of all persons associated with SM facilities
Other duties as assigned
B.S. degree in technically related field preferred or Associates degree
Minimum of 5 years of industry work experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: Minimal
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, and Access are required) applications to manipulate and interpret data and reports; Experience with Aries, VBA/programing capabilities, Spotfire or PetroVisual, and SharePoint is a plus
- Basic knowledge of technical/economic evaluations (a plus)
- Proficient at extracting, manipulating, and analyzing data (Public Data Sources, Access, and Excel)
- Track record of reliability and high quality results
- Ability to thrive in both an independent and collaborative work environment and have exceptional skills in managing multiple demands, including prioritizing deadlines
- Strong analytical, numeric and problem solving skills with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to read work over, drilling and production reports (a plus)
- Effective team player who takes an active role in team responsibilities
- Able to grasp new concepts quickly and work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to create tools necessary to analyze large amounts of data
- Strong data management skills with demonstrated ability to build, maintain and extract information from databases
- Ability to identify process improvements and utilize MS office and programming skills to enhance functionality of corporate engineering group as a whole.
- Excellent written / verbal communication and interpersonal skills
SM Energy is in the business of exploring North America to find the next big sources of energy, but we’re just as serious about...