Electrical Reliability Services (ERS), a wholly owned subsidiary of Emerson, is an industry leader in electrical testing, maintenance and engineering services helping utilities, industrial, financial and government clients throughout the United States improve the reliability and performance of their electrical distribution systems. ERS offers a full range of services including complete electrical distribution system commissioning and start-up services, acceptance and maintenance testing, project management, engineering studies, and electrical and safety training. Priding itself on workplace safety and unparalleled expertise in the field, ERS has more than 28 offices in the U.S.
ERS is currently seeking an experienced Senior Electrical Field Engineer to support our service offerings in the Baton Rouge, LA area. Candidates must live or have ties to this area to be considered for this position.
Senior Electrical Field Engineer
Perform complex troubleshooting, specialized tests, inspections, and appraisals on electrical apparatus and electrical systems. Technically support a Region of service engineers. Position may be mentally demanding, requiring a high level of tolerance and concentration on several projects and activities at once. The Senior Field Engineer position requires little or no direct supervision.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform complex troubleshooting, specialized tests, inspections, and appraisals on electrical apparatus and electrical systems.
- Test and troubleshoot complex electrical systems, complex relay systems and all types of power metering.
- Lead large projects requiring specialized skills such as generator acceptance tests, commissioning of larger substations, supervising “turnkey” projects, detailed power survey and other types of electrical consultation.
- Instrumental in developing tests and inspections in new areas of field services.
- Perform instrument transformer tests, power transformer testing, automatic transfer switch troubleshooting, and generator testing.
- Troubleshooting capabilities, complex relay calibration, use of load and power quality recording instrumentation, high voltage circuit breaker and switchgear testing, all equipment associated with substation equipment testing.
- Perform start-up services on switchgear up through the 500 kV class.
- May perform and/or supervise a full range of complex engineering studies.
- Write complete, detailed reports promptly at end of project, using a computer, and accurately process job billing.
- May perform complex analysis and evaluative tasks necessary to complete equipment-labeling projects consistent with recognized industry and international standards, local jurisdiction requirements and Company procedures.
- Perform sales support functions.
- Maintain strong client relationships.
- Perform all functions pertaining to a written job proposal to a client, including estimate of man-hours and expenses, and development of scope and pricing.
- Actively involved client interface and business development activities.
- Give effective technical presentations and write publishable articles may be required.
- Mentor other Field Service Engineer positions.
- Train and assist other Field Service Engineers in the Region.
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customer; Gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; Acts with customers in mind; Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Decision Quality – Makes good decisions based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at first answers.
Additional Company Information
- Graduate BSEE/BSEET Engineer and six years experience. OR Graduate of applicable Electrical Technical School or Military equivalent and nine years minimum same or similar work experience. OR High school education or equivalent and ten years minimum same or similar work experience.
- Strong knowledge of the National Electrical Code and various industry standards, such as OSHA and NFPA.
- Requires special skills in a majority of the following: Power quality surveys - generation and co-generation start-up – ANSI, NEC, NEMA and U.L. specifications (field evaluation); pilot wire and distance relaying - computer power system transient surveys - vector, phasor analogy; UPS systems - drive systems - complex control systems - medium and high voltage substation start-up, vibration analysis.
- Strong background and experience in all types of switchgear and equipment testing through the 500 kV class.
- Thorough knowledge of electrical apparatus testing with a strong theoretical understanding of electrical power systems, and good aptitude for problem evaluation.
- Complete projects consistently on budget.
- Requires a high degree of communication, supervisory, organizational and management skills.
- Communicate effectively, in writing and verbally, with clients, peers and management.
- Good judgment, dependable, supervises large-scale projects with technical expertise and good business management skills.
- Strong computer skills including editing, formatting and using templates in Microsoft Word, use of Internet for standards/products/manufacturer research and operation of computer controlled test equipment.
- Willing to work flexible hours, weekends, holidays and night work. Must be available for out-of-town and international travel of up to several weeks.
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk, hear, and smell. Frequently required to sit, climb and balance. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, basic color differentiation and the ability to adjust focus. Regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and frequently lift and/or move 100 pound test sets
- Valid Driver’s License.
We offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits and opportunity for personal and professional growth. See www.emersonnetworkpower.com for Company information.
The company will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this position. This is not a position for which sponsorship will be provided. Individuals with temporary visas such as E, F-1, H-1, H-2, L, B, J, or TN or who need sponsorship for work authorization now or in the future, are not eligible for hire.
Emerson Network Power is an equal opportunity employer. It will not discriminate against any applicant or employee on the basis of race, sex, religion, age, national origin, color, disability, or veteran status. Emerson Network Power is committed to providing a workplace free of any discrimination or harassment.
Additional Website Information
Click here to apply online
Emerson - 23 months ago
Emerson combines industry knowledge, manufacturing expertise, and technological innovation to offer a broad portfolio of products and...