The Nerdery is looking for a talented senior front-end developer with a passion for being on the cutting edge of web development with the skills to support legacy browsers when required. Our ideal candidate is highly motivated, always learning and willing to expand their horizons. Most importantly, they embrace The Nerdery’s unique culture by sharing their knowledge and experience with our 200+ developer team through collaboration, group work and peer review. Conversely, they would be ready to humbly absorb new knowledge from the collective brain power of our amazing team.
- Expert at writing semantic and well-formed HTML
- Expert at writing modular and reusable CSS and markup components
- Expert at converting PSD compositions into code
- Experience with responsive design
- Possesses an extremely high attention to detail, capable of pixel-perfect page construction
- Highly skilled with Photoshop
- Experience leading a team of developers and delegating tasks
- Experience conducting project code reviews
- Experience creating estimates, defining project timeline and organizing tasks into milestones
- Experience with deployment optimizations for front end code and assets
- Experience creating technical documentation
- Experience with client communication, such as requirements gathering and technical consulting
- Experience coding to and testing for the limitations and caveats of current and legacy browsers and devices
- Strong understanding of front end architecture (defining grid systems, defining a progressive enhancement strategy, identifying reusable patterns and objects in designs, maintaining code organization and the creation of style guides)
- Experience identifying areas of designs that conflict with expected level of browser/device support or that could be consolidated/simplified and providing alternative solutions
- Experience integrating front end code with back end code
- Associates Degree and 4 years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Nerdery Assessment Test
Applicants who progress beyond the first interview will be given a NAT Nerdery Assessment Test | noun Acing the NAT is hard work – because it’s real work. This is a test, this is only a test – but this assignment is the shape of things to come, if you’re hired. The NAT is every bit as important as what’s on your resume. tailored to their discipline. Applicants spend upwards to 10 hours on their NAT. Ace your NAT and you’ll get our attention.
- Knowledge of 508 / accessibility guidelines
- Knowledge of OOCSS / SMACSS methodologies
- Experience conducting developer and/or client training
- Experience defining and architecting version control systems and procedures
This position qualifies for relocation reimbursement.
About The Nerdery
The Nerdery is a developer-driven interactive production shop that partners with creative minds and big thinkers to engineer and execute their interactive projects, including websites, social media and mobile apps. In 2010 and 2011, The Nerdery ranked #1 on the Best Places to Work list published by Mpls-St. Paul Business Journal. With offices in Chicago and Minneapolis, The Nerdery has a staff of hundreds and was founded in 2003 by three programming pioneers. The Nerdery was honored in 2010 with The Quality of Life Award and The Jefferson Award for its record of corporate philanthropy through The Nerdery Overnight Website Challenge, at which volunteers have donated nearly two million dollars worth of web development services to 66 nonprofit organizations. In addition to Biz Journal’s Fast 50 list, The Nerdery has made the Inc 5000 list of fast-growing privately owned companies for four consecutive years.
- Developer-oriented workplace; work on a variety of compelling, challenging projects surrounded by nerdy supergeniuses
- Created by nerds, for nerds; 85% of staff has development background, including senior management
- Casual dress
- Free breakfast and convenient lunch ordering/delivery
- Team environment, collaborative learning environment, transparent communications
- Flexible 40-hour work week
- Benefits package including a 401k, unlimited sick days
- On-site Yoga classes, massage service
- Dog-friendly, including monthly dog grooming
- Chess, Anime, daily hackysack; home of 20+ extracurricular clubs and room for the one you want to create
- Opportunity to advance career at growing company always looking for emerging leaders
The Nerdery is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunity and to prohibit discrimination and harassment for everyone regardless of age, color, race, creed, gender, national origin or ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, registered domestic partner status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, medical condition including genetic characteristics, status with regard to public assistance, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.