What big problems would you solve if you knew everything about every mobile app in the world?
We ask ourselves this question every day. In our quest to vanquish malware from the face of the planet, we’ve built the Mobile Threat Network (MTN). At its core, the MTN brings together data from a number of distributed analysis systems so that we can understand how each app in the world behaves, where it’s popular, other apps it’s related to, what private data it accesses, and much more. Beyond identifying malware, we’ve also used the MTN to uncover huge mobile privacy issues and power the App Genome Project, an initiative that aims to arm the public with good data about what’s happening in the world of mobile apps.
We’ve just scratched the surface of what the MTN can do. Our goal is to empower everyone—app stores, mobile networks, critical infrastructure providers, human rights activists, and a growing number of companies who rely on mobile devices—to apply our dataset to solve their biggest challenges. That’s why we’re building scalable APIs for data query, analysis, and research on top of the MTN.
Here’s where you come in
How do we take the largest dataset of mobile apps in the world to places where it can do good?
We’re an engineering-focused team, so we build APIs and web-based tools.
Of course, it’s a really hard problem to build clean interfaces to an extremely rich dataset. That’s why we’re looking for a really strong backend or full stack engineer to craft production systems, APIs, and tools.
If you join this team, you’ll work on a small but growing team interacting closely with security researchers to build the next generation of tools to get meaningful insight from the extremely dynamic world of mobile apps.
Want in? Here’s the type of person we’re looking for:
• You think at scale, with high availability.
• Service-oriented, distributed web platforms feel like home.
• You’re intimately familiar with a variety backend data stores
• You insist on clean APIs, even when you’re working with complex resources (we have a rich datasets and powerful underlying technologies that make insightful API design a must)
• You are a craftsman; you take pride in the clean code that you develop.
• Ruby, Python, Java, SQL, NoSQL, Hadoop and friends, client MVC
Index Ventures - 19 months ago