Do you have 10 plus years experince?
Under general direction, performs moderately-difficult design assignments which require the application of advanced design techniques in accordance with company and industry standards and codes. Most assignments are performed with minimal guidance.
Responsible for a group of designers/drafters assigned to a single project or working in a specialized field.
High school graduate with vocational/technical training in basic drafting technology (or equivalent working knowledge/experience), or a 2-year degree in drafting/design technology.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
This is a lead design position. Normally requires a high school graduate with vocational/technical training in basic drafting technology and 10-12 years related experience (or equivalent working knowledge/experience), or a 2 year degree in drafting/design in technology and 8-10 years related experience. Incumbent must demonstrate a sound understanding of design concepts with minimal engineering input and a proficiency in utilizing manual and computer-assisted techniques for moderately-difficult design applications.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Establishes design criteria for assigned phase of a project requiring the application of basic engineering principles, material properties, and a familiarity with construction, installation, and maintenance procedures.
- Provides conceptual input to projects during the planning stages.
- Prepares detail and layout drawings and sketches of unusual, complex, or original designs requiring the application of theoretical and practical engineering knowledge. Assignments regularly include determining material needs and performing necessary calculations using accepted formulas and references.
- Reviews manufacturers' and/or fabricators' prints for conformance with contract specification.
- Provides lower-level design/drafting personnel with design sketches for preparation of finished design drawings, general layouts, and guidance in refining technical requirements.
- Supports field assignments and leads field walkdowns as required.
- Provides technical guidance to lower-level design/drafting personnel and reviews completed assignments for accuracy.
- Regularly interfaces with other departments, clients, vendors, and project specialists in order to support project production.
- Performs other related tasks in support of project specialist that are non-routine and complex in nature, such as writing procedures and specifications; analyzing bids; compiling and analyzing various engineering design and/or test data, estimating, etc.
- Performs certain administrative tasks, such as determining manpower requirements, establishing drawing schedules, assigning tasks to lower-level design/drafting personnel, etc.
- Prepares moderately-difficult to difficult engineering and construction drawings for a complete phase of a project, utilizing manual and computer-assisted drafting/design techniques. In most cases, only minimal information and very rough sketches are provided.
- Performs discipline design tasks which regularly require the application of fundamental engineering concepts and mathematical formulas. These assignments may include determining material needs and performing necessary calculations using accepted formulas and references, as well as developing and detailing minor design elements which have not been clearly defined in the layouts or sketches.
- Reviews manufacturers' and/or fabricators' prints for conformance with contract specifications.
- Performs routine checking and/or verification tasks.
- Supports field assignments as required.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before clients or employees of the organization.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Occasionally may conduct or participate in a field trip to an operating plant or construction site. This requires normal hearing, the ability to stand, walk, reach, climb and balance, clear close and distance vision, depth perception and the ability to focus. Lifting up to 25 pounds may be required.
Normal work environment will be a business office with moderate noise. Occasionally may visit an operating plant or construction site. This may require exposure to outdoor weather conditions, loud noise, work near moving mechanical parts, electrical energy, construction equipment, vibration, fumes, chemicals and airborne particles.
S & B Engineers and Constructors, Ltd.
- 2 years ago - save job