Job Description: The New York Times is looking for a creative and talented senior software engineer to work as part of the content management team. We work closely with editorial, design, our mobile application development team and other technology groups to provide tools that publish content to nytimes.com, ereaders, our mobile apps, and partners. We’re looking for someone strong in core Java and common web frameworks who is also comfortable with client side technologies and willing to dig into HTML, JS, and CSS. We are looking for a serious engineer who just gets it, not necessarily somebody with two dozen acronyms in their resume.
- Work with the newsroom and other technology teams to design and implement new tools to manage, edit and publish content to a variety of platforms.
- Act as the technical lead on projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- A solid understanding of web application architecture and the fundamentals of software design, object oriented software, and design patterns.
- 6+ years experience building web applications in Java.
- Solid communication and organization skills and the ability to work independently as well as collaborate with a team.
- Experience with JQuery or other JS frameworks
- Understanding of services-based architecture and related technologies.
- Experience with at least one of: Hibernate, Spring, Struts
- Understanding of the fundamentals of relational databases
- Experience with content management systems or blogging platforms
- Familiarity with XML or no-SQL databases and similar technologies
- Familiarity with AGILE software development concepts
The ideal candidate will:
- Be passionate about building great software
- Have experience engaging in rapid prototyping and iterative product development
- Be nimble and flexible enough to thrive in a rapidly evolving business environment
- Have big thoughts and the courage to voice them
- Have enthusiasm for emerging technologies
- Grasp the big picture, and
- Be curious about and engaged in the broader world
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2012 revenues of $2.0 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com , BostonGlobe.com , Boston.com, and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news and information.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 24 months ago