In the role of Senior Legal Officer, you will provide legal advice and counsel to UTHealth.
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), the most comprehensive academic health center in The UT System and the U.S. Gulf Coast region, is home to schools of biomedical informatics, biomedical sciences, dentistry, medicine, nursing and public health. UTHealth educates more healthcare professionals than any health-related institution in the State of Texas and features the nation's seventh-largest medical school. It also includes a psychiatric hospital and a growing network of clinics throughout the region. The university's primary teaching hospitals include Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center, Children's Memorial Hermann Hospital and Lyndon B. Johnson General Hospital. Founded in 1972 by the U.T. System Board of Regents, UTHealth's 10,000-plus faculty, staff, students and residents are committed to delivering innovative solutions that create the best hope for a healthier future.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Provides interpretation and opinions regarding various laws, regulations and internal and external policies.
- Coordinates litigators and litigation and certain regulatory investigations involving the institution and its employees.
- Drafts and/or reviews various documents and forms as required for institutional business purposes.
- Advises as necessary the various institutional committees and managers.
- Coordinates certain internal hearings and assures that institutional policies are followed and due process is achieved.
- Interacts and/or intervenes with The University of Texas System Office of General Counsel, the Texas Attorney General, and various private attorneys.
- Negotiates on behalf of the institution in mediation and other situations encountered in pursuit of resolving legal conflicts to which the institution is a party in interest.
- Attends depositions and other legal proceedings to assist/coordinate outside attorneys representing the institution.
- Conducts or participates in training on various legal issues.
- Responds to subpoenas and requests for information and records.
- Responsible for the design, execution and effectiveness of a system of internal controls which provides reasonable assurance that operations are effective and efficient, assets are safeguarded, financial information is reliable and compliant with applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures.
- In conjunction with the Chief Legal Officer, supervises the support staff and legal interns.
Juris Doctorate degree from an American Bar Association accredited law school with a minimum of five years experience. Licensed by the State Bar of Texas. Proficiency in legal research via library or computers. Experience in health law, higher education law or transactional law preferred.
Established in 1972 by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth)...