Pay Grade: $4,936 - $6,634 per month, FLSA exempt, Union represented.
Schedule: Forty (40) hours per week on a regular schedule to be determined at time of hire. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, substitute for other staff, and attend meetings.
: In addition to completing the application, please also include a cover letter and resume . Apply through this site no later than 8 a.m. on Tuesday, October 1, 2013.
Under the direction of the Customer Experience Manager, plans, coordinates and supervises the daily operations of an assigned library branch for the Pierce County Library System. Performs a variety of professional librarian functions; responds to public inquiries and resolves complaints, provides reference services, readers’ advisory, and instructs customers in the use of library equipment and resources; participates in maintaining assigned collection materials; represents the Library to the community; and performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
Reports to a Customer Experience Manager; supervises assigned personnel, including Librarians, Assistant Branch Supervisor and Senior Branch Assistants.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services to both internal and external customers, which includes but is not limited to public inquiries, complaints, reference services, readers’ advisory, research services.
- Instructs and assists customers in the use of the Library’s equipment, catalogs, databases, public website, internet, and/or computer software applications; troubleshoots equipment issues.
- Works with the Managing Librarian to hire, train, supervise, discipline, and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
- Prepares and maintains employee schedules; contacts and schedules substitute personnel to ensure appropriate levels of staff coverage; reviews and signs employee timecards.
- Assists management in identifying appropriate training to develop the learning organization environment of the branch.
- Performs opening and closing duties; ensures the building is properly secured.
- Acts on behalf of the Managing Librarian in his/her absence as required.
- Participates in the maintenance and development of assigned library collections, which will include but is not limited to weeding, condition evaluation and processing holds.
- Serves as a representative of the Library to outside agencies, community groups, and the general public; establishes and maintains positive community relationships.
- Ensures staff has accurate knowledge of library policies, procedures and service standards, both internal and external, and has the ability to communicate them effectively to the public.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library System’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge of:
- Public library operations, programs, and services.
- Departmental policies, procedures, and service standards.
- Specialized operations relative to area of assignment.
- Collection maintenance and development principles.
- Automated library systems and databases.
- Customer service standards and protocols.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Computers and Windows-based software.
Required Skill in:
- Coordinating and performing a variety of professional librarian functions.
- Facilitating the delivery of high-quality, customer-focused library services to customers.
- Overseeing and coordinating the daily operations of a library facility
- Responding to inquiries and providing customer service to the public.
- Participating in the maintenance and development of assigned library collections.
- Representing the Library to community organizations, outside agencies, and the public.
- Conducting specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
- Supervising, leading, coaching, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) required, and
- At least three years of progressively more responsible public library work, and
- One year supervisory experience in a public library preferred; OR
- Any combination of education (MLS/MLIS) and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
Licenses, Certifications, and Special Requirements:
- State of Washington Librarian Certification is required.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Must pass local police and Washington State Adult/Child Abuse records check prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in a library environment and involves regular contact with the public.
- Subject to sitting for extended periods of time, standing, walking, bending, reaching, climbing ladders/stepstools, and lifting of objects weighing up to 30 - 35 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and carry library materials and push/pull loaded carts.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program.
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction.
Internet access to services of Pierce County Library System, in Pierce County, WA. Access library services, our library catalog and news...