Pay Grade: $4,936 - $6,634 per month, FLSA exempt, Union represented.
Schedule: Forty (40) hours per week on a regular schedule to be determined at time of hire. Must be able to work evenings and weekends, substitute for other staff, and attend meetings.
: In addition to completing the application, please also include a cover letter and resume . Apply through this site no later than 8 a.m. on Tuesday, October 1, 2013.
Under the direction of the Customer Experience Manager, plans, coordinates and supervises the daily operations of an assigned library branch for the Pierce County Library System. Performs a variety of professional librarian functions; responds to public inquiries and resolves complaints, provides reference services, readers’ advisory, and instructs customers in the use of library equipment and resources; participates in maintaining assigned collection materials; represents the Library to the community; and performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
Reports to a Customer Experience Manager; supervises assigned personnel, including Librarians, Assistant Branch Supervisor and Senior Branch Assistants.
Class specifications are intended to provide a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
- Delivers high-quality, customer-focused services to both internal and external customers, which includes but is not limited to public inquiries, complaints, reference services, readers’ advisory, research services.
- Instructs and assists customers in the use of the Library’s equipment, catalogs, databases, public website, internet, and/or computer software applications; troubleshoots equipment issues.
- Works with the Managing Librarian to hire, train, supervise, discipline, and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
- Prepares and maintains employee schedules; contacts and schedules substitute personnel to ensure appropriate levels of staff coverage; reviews and signs employee timecards.
- Assists management in identifying appropriate training to develop the learning organization environment of the branch.
- Performs opening and closing duties; ensures the building is properly secured.
- Acts on behalf of the Managing Librarian in his/her absence as required.
- Participates in the maintenance and development of assigned library collections, which will include but is not limited to weeding, condition evaluation and processing holds.
- Serves as a representative of the Library to outside agencies, community groups, and the general public; establishes and maintains positive community relationships.
- Ensures staff has accurate knowledge of library policies, procedures and service standards, both internal and external, and has the ability to communicate them effectively to the public.
- Demonstrates punctuality and regular and consistent attendance.
- Brings matters of public concern regarding waste, inefficiency, corruption, discrimination, and safety to the attention of Library Management.
- Accurately communicates the Library’s policies to members of the public in all job-related contacts.
- Positively reflects Pierce County Library System’s mission, vision, and values to members of the public and to staff.
- Performs other specialized duties relative to area of assignment as assigned or required.
Required Knowledge of:
- Public library operations, programs, and services.
- Departmental policies, procedures, and service standards.
- Specialized operations relative to area of assignment.
- Collection maintenance and development principles.
- Automated library systems and databases.
- Customer service standards and protocols.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Computers and Windows-based software.
Required Skill in:
- Coordinating and performing a variety of professional librarian functions.
- Facilitating the delivery of high-quality, customer-focused library services to customers.
- Overseeing and coordinating the daily operations of a library facility
- Responding to inquiries and providing customer service to the public.
- Participating in the maintenance and development of assigned library collections.
- Representing the Library to community organizations, outside agencies, and the public.
- Conducting specialized duties relative to area of assignment.
- Supervising, leading, coaching, and delegating tasks and authority.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS/MLIS) required, and
- At least three years of progressively more responsible public library work, and
- One year supervisory experience in a public library preferred; OR
- Any combination of education (MLS/MLIS) and experience which would provide the required knowledge and skills and allows successful performance of the job.
Licenses, Certifications, and Special Requirements:
- State of Washington Librarian Certification is required.
- Depending on area of assignment, a valid Washington State Driver’s License may be required.
- Must pass local police and Washington State Adult/Child Abuse records check prior to hire.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends on a rotating schedule and to adapt to schedule changes on short notice is required.
Working Environment and Physical Requirements:
- Work is performed in a library environment and involves regular contact with the public.
- Subject to sitting for extended periods of time, standing, walking, bending, reaching, climbing ladders/stepstools, and lifting of objects weighing up to 30 - 35 pounds.
- Must be able to lift and carry library materials and push/pull loaded carts.
- Sick Leave
- Medical, Dental, and Basic Life Insurance
- Long-term Disability Insurance
- State Retirement System
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employees have an opportunity to participate in the Tax Sheltered Annuity Program and the Deferred Compensation Program.
- Additional life insurance for the employee and family is available through payroll deduction.
Pierce County Library - 12 months ago
Internet access to services of Pierce County Library System, in Pierce County, WA. Access library services, our library catalog and news...