At Higher One, we believe that every employee is critical to our success! Our innovative services depend on the energy, values, hard work and dedication of our employees. As we continue to grow, we look for others who are also committed to retaining a small-company feel while moving us to the next level!
Higher One’s Contract Linux Engineer will be responsible for design, implementing and support of Higher One’s Linux infrastructure and production environments in multiple data centers. Provide technical thought leadership for the Linux environments and is accountable to help define, maintain, communicate and implement standards consistent with established architecture and strategy. This role is ideal for an independent, fast learning, and motivated individual who wishes to continue to increase their knowledge and mastery of Linux System Administration, software engineering and open source applications.
Day to day responsibilities:
Apache, Joomla, Wordpress, Bugzilla, Mediawiki, Moodle, Openfire, MySQL, Jboss
- Migration of existing services to new hardware / virtual machines
- Develop and maintain installation, configuration, maintenance procedures and documentation
- Installation & administration of Linux environments. (Red Hat, CentOS). Patching, account creation, upgrades, backups, etc
- Installation & administration of application software such as:
Working at Higher One
- Installation, administration and support of tools used in the software development lifecycle such as CVS, Git, Hudson, Maven and Sonar.
- Issue resolution and troubleshooting for the Linux environments and applications.
- Proactive monitoring of the Linux environments including planning for growth and upgrades.
- Maintain server security and standards to meet the company’s security policies and certifications.
Higher One is not your typical financial services company. Our environment is open – we do not have offices – not even for upper management. We typically work in casual attire, and while our focus on excellence is anything but casual, we know how to have fun, too. Teams have been known to plan surprise nerf gun attacks on other departments, we have paper airplane competitions and office chair races, and we have a foosball table in our casual lounge. The lounge is complete with couches and comfortable chairs – and is the site of some of our meetings as well as a place to relax. We work hard – and we have fun while we do it.
- Bachelor degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent IT work experience.
- Experience with scripting and system automation (Perl, Bash, Awk, etc).
- Experience with Oracle E-Business Suite is a plus.
- 6+ years experience with Linux administration.
- Experience with Linux server security and hardening servers.
- Experience with DNS and F5 Load balancers.
- Experience with VMWare.
- Experience with Java application server environments including JBoss and Tomcat a plus.
- Experience with high availability and multi-site environments.
- Experience working in a 24x7 high transaction volume environment.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Good technical diagnostic expertise including problem investigation, reproduction, and resolution skills.
- Ability to work efficiently on multiple simultaneous projects.
- Ability to balance longer term project work with ongoing support responsibilities.
- Ability to acquire new skills efficiently and thrives in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to blend discipline (area of expertise) with a business perspective.
- Ability to make logical decisions regarding the best method to accomplish goals or solve a problem and is guided by precedent and general policy in making decisions.
- Able to coordinate and obtain cooperation of others.
- Able to handle controversial issues tactfully.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Limited travel may be required.
- Off hours support required.
Higher One - 6 months ago
The higher ambition at Higher One Holdings is to facilitate higher education payments. The company provides payment processing and...