We are seeking a Senior Manager, Electrical/Firmware Engineering who will manage and lead a team of engineers to define, develop, and commercialize system-level electronics and firmware for new, industry-leading genetic analysis platforms for life sciences and clinical markets.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Strong technical manager to direct the activities of a team of Electrical and Firmware Engineers who are involved in the development of cutting-edge genetic analysis instruments incorporating optics, fluidics, precision motion systems, and thermal control.
• Lead functional excellence in the electrical/firmware engineering group, and the development of new technologies that enable higher performance and lower cost in Illumina’s genetic analysis instrumentation.
• Interface with project managers, peers, engineers, scientists and other departments such as Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Software, Chemistry, and Optics Engineering to define product scope and project staffing.
• Provide Functional Management oversight to ensure projects meet aggressive performance and time-to-market targets
• Participate as a core team member, leader or extended team member on various projects
• Manage efforts to continue to grow the Electrical and Firmware Engineering team by driving hiring and staffing efforts.
• Negotiate and manage consultants, outsourcing partners, and co-development projects with attention to requirements, interfaces, schedule, and budget.
• Mentor, coach, and manage the performance of direct reports in order to set them up for success and provide for career growth both technically and managerially
• Develop and advocate for engineering best practices aligned with Illumina’s product development strategy
• Coach and facilitate functional group members in developing subsystem requirements, options analysis, test methods, and robust designs
• Interface with Senior Management regularly on program status and product strategy
• Work with other members of the Engineering Management to define the long term development plans and strategy for the department, including development models and methods.
REQUIRED SKILLS & EXPERIENCE:
• MS/PhD in Electrical or Firmware Engineering or related field
• Minimum 10 years’ experience developing complex products and/or scientific instruments, preferably biomedical devices or related to biotech applications
• Extensive experience designing electronic architecture and subsystems for complex instruments that include imaging/optics, fluidics, motion control, and thermal control.
• Strong technical background with hands-on experience in designing electrical architecture and subsystems for complex instruments with particular focus upon digital architectures and signal processing (embedded microcontrollers, memory architecture and interfacing, analog-to-digital control systems)
• Direct experience completing projects from early inception to release to manufacturing. Demonstrated track record for successfully transferring electronic designs into manufacturing
• Experience in managing product development projects, using PDP process preferred, while managing and mentoring Junior & Senior Engineers of various disciplines
• A track record of excellent communication, team building, conflict resolution skills, and the ability to make decisions and drive collaboration in a matrix organization.
• Experience managing teams and projects from different sites
• Knowledgeable with manufacturing processes and transfer of products into a manufacturing environment.
• Ability to design, document, prototype and debug hardware systems
• Experience with diagnostic products FDA regulated markets is a plus
Illumina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Illumina (www.illumina.com) is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of life science tools and integrated systems for the analysis of genetic variation and function. We provide innovative sequencing and array-based solutions for genotyping, copy number variation analysis, methylation studies, gene expression profiling, and low-multiplex analysis of DNA, RNA, and protein. We also provide tools and services that are fueling advances in consumer genomics and diagnostics. Our technology and products accelerate genetic analysis research and its application, paving the way for molecular medicine and ultimately transforming healthcare.
Illumina, Inc. - 14 months ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...