We are seeking a highly-motivated, self-driven and experienced individual who will manage a team of Electrical and Firmware engineers at our San Diego design facility. This team develops and commercializes integrated electronics and firmware systems for Illumina’s world-leading genetic analysis platforms. The candidate will be a strong people manager with broad technical knowledge who can lead and drive complex product development teams in a fast-paced environment. This is not an ASIC or software development role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Required Skills & Experience
- Lead and direct the activities of a team of Electrical and Firmware Engineers involved in the development of genetic analysis instrumentation incorporating advanced imaging systems, embedded digital electronics, precision motion, and thermal control systems. Provide technical leadership in areas such as Embedded Digital Design, System Architecture, and Product Commercialization
- Work as a first level manager by monitoring the performance of each individual and providing feedback, mentoring, and coaching to develop them for success
- Provide direct oversight to this team as a functional manager in a matrixed organization. Interface with other functional and project managers to appropriately staff projects and balance resource needs across the organization
- Negotiate and manage consultants, outsourcing partners (both in the US and overseas), and co-development projects with attention to requirements, interfaces, schedule, and budget
- Lead functional excellence with the development of new technologies that enable higher performance and faster time to market for Illumina’s genetic analysis instrumentation. Develop and advocate for engineering best practices within this team
- Manage efforts to continue to grow team by driving hiring and staffing efforts
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree or PhD in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience developing and commercializing complex products and/or scientific instruments. Direct experience completing multiple projects from early inception to release to manufacturing in a fast-paced environment
- Minimum 5 years’ experience directly managing an engineering team with > 5 direct reports
- Strong technical background with hands-on experience in designing electrical/firmware architecture and subsystems for complex instruments with particular focus upon digital architectures and signal processing. ASIC or software development experience does not qualify for this experience.
- Previous commercialization experience working with external partners (CM/ODM partners)
Illumina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Experience with scientific instrumentation related to biotech applications
- Experience development products requiring FDA certification for a clinical environment
Illumina (www.illumina.com) ) is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of life science tools and integrated systems for the analysis of genetic variation and function. We provide innovative sequencing and array-based solutions for genotyping, copy number variation analysis, methylation studies, gene expression profiling, and low-multiplex analysis of DNA, RNA, and protein. We also provide tools and services that are fueling advances in consumer genomics and diagnostics. Our technology and products accelerate genetic analysis research and its application, paving the way for molecular medicine and ultimately transforming healthcare
Illumina, Inc. - 15 months ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...