The Market Analyst will track and analyze established and disruptive content technology companies serving the information industry and serve on a team committed to delivering top-notch research, analysis and client care to satisfied clients. The role requires a unique individual with the ability to understand how content technology has impacted the Publishing and Information Industry, how it works in very real business environments and how its future developments will shape information, media creation and consumption.
As an individual contributor serving Outsell’s executive level clients you are creative, innovative curious and love fun challenges. You will track and analyze important technologies, leveraging your expertise of how those technologies affect content creation, aggregation, management and distribution (aka the content supply chain) and help decision-makers understand who to pick and why, while also focusing on the future of technology and having a bead on what will matter in 2, 5 and 10 year horizons.
The ideal candidate has worked as an industry analyst covering information, device, or software industry or as a journalist covering disruptive information and media products and solutions. The Senior Market Analyst will understand how technology solves business issues, how it evolves, and its implications. This special individual will track, analyze, synthesize and write to C-level decision makers in a fluid way, with an eye to the future of content technology and its impact.
You are both a futurist, and a ‘practicalist’, writing, presenting and advising clients routinely, and looking at what’s going on in tech hot spots (including Silicon Valley, MIT, Cambridge, Oxford) while being able to challenge technology providers on current capabilities. You will help executives in the information industry understand the here and now of their critical technology decisions while looking at the future and anticipating future technologies and their impact.
- Conduct research and company interviews to develop, track, and enhance Outsell’s company database of Content Software Technology companies. Estimate the revenue, business model, key metrics, market share and other key indicators of these companies.
- Support and execute research projects and write segment and sub-segment market, size, share and forecast reports based on data analysis, primary and secondary research methodologies, personal interviews with vendors and customers, tracking and analysis of industry trends, emerging strategies, and technologies.
- Review industry headlines and events; author Insights bi-monthly containing analysis of key events in the related technology space and why they are relevant; track and analyze the emergence of new technology for inclusion in our annual 5 Technologies to Watch report and The Outsell Report – a quarterly analysis of the most critical developments and their implications.
- Understand team revenue goals and support business development activities including client satisfaction and retention. Liaise with Outsell’s Client Services, lead analysts and consultants to identify new business opportunities.
- Ensure all dialog with clients is logged into Outsell’s contact management (CRM) system.
- Support building analytical best practices and processes and contribute regularly and collaboratively to colleagues’ research projects.
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-4+ years as market, business, competitive or investment analyst position or support position or as a journalist covering a related field.
- Bachelor's required; Master's degree preferred in marketing, finance or business
- Ability to evaluate markets and track and analyze companies.
- Conduct poised and knowledgeable briefings with industry executives that build Outsell’s industry knowledge and represent Outsell professionally and do credit to the firm’s reputation in the industry.
- Experience and knowledge of digital publishing, advertising and marketing across all media, mobile services, social networking, workflow services, user and site analytics, conferences and events and database businesses are all valuable for this position.
- Creativity, curiosity, self-motivation, and a strong analytical rigor are also essential.
- Demonstrated critical thinking and organizational skills are required, as is competency in challenging assumptions and developing opinions that are concise and complete in well-founded logic.
- Ability to produce written, graphic and visually intensive research reports and analysis and make strong recommendations and conclusions to senior management.
- Must be able to own a process, express ideas clearly and logically, meet deadlines, manage personal time successfully, and work effectively under pressure.
- Demonstrated ability to work within and deliver on an agreed timetable of commitments, to manage multiple research and writing projects concurrently, and deliver finished work on time.
- Candidate must be team-oriented, flexible, and able to work both independently and collaboratively in a firm whose team is largely based in home-office environments.
- Excellent writing and research skills are critical, as are outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. Must be fluent in English, both oral and written.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint is required, and experience in communicating knowledge through these programs is critical.
It is important that the successful candidate reflect Outsell's core values:
At Outsell, we strive to delight our clients and provide a " wow ” experience whenever possible. In all things we do, we attempt to achieve win-win-win outcomes through:
Service. We are client-centered, good listeners, easy to do business with, and focused on high-touch relationships.
Innovation and creativity. We are can-do, agile, and embrace change.
Integrity. We are honest, ethical, and direct in all of our dealings.
Accountability. We say what we’ll do, do what we say, and do the right thing.
Results. We are committed to helping our clients achieve high-quality, actionable results.
Influence. We are a trusted advisor and unbiased thought-leader.
Teamwork. We collaborate with our clients and each other.
Fun, freedom and family. We get the job done on a schedule that works for each of us, our clients, and our colleagues.
Kaizen. We are always learning and improving.
Commitment. We are stewards of what we stand for, focused on running a financially healthy business while being active citizens in the world.
Outsell is the only research and advisory firm that focuses exclusively on the Information Content industry. As an independent advisor, they...