Senior Network Administrator / Architect
Work as a member of the Global IT Infrastructure team to provide both operational and project services to a global user base. Provide administrative operational support services which include deploying, configuring, maintaining and monitoring active data network or converged infrastructure environments and related network equipment. Provide architecture support services which include the specification of a network's physical components and their functional organization and configuration, its operational principles and procedures, as well as data formats used in its operation. Serve as tier 3 escalation support.
Key Result Areas:
- Maintain and administer computer networks and all configurations.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware, software, or other network and system problems, and replace defective components when necessary.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement network security measures to protect data, software, and hardware.
- Operate master consoles to monitor the performance of networks, and to coordinate computer network access and use.
- Design, configure, and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software.
- Monitor network performance to determine whether adjustments need to be made, and to determine where changes will need to be made in the future.
- Confer with network users about how to solve existing system problems.
- Proactively manage the environment and initiate required corrective actions when potential or present issues identified.
- Address 3rd level customer support issues escalated from Help Desk; troubleshoot difficult cases, document resolution and share findings with the group.
- Follow internal procedures for change management, incident management, escalation, etc.
- Firewall/IDS/IPS rules development and management
- Other responsibilities and key result areas will be assigned as required
- Adjust network sizes to meet volume or capacity demands.
- Communicate with customers to determine customer needs.
- Communicate with system users to ensure accounts are set up properly or to diagnose and solve operational problems.
- Coordinate installation of new equipment.
- Coordinate network operations, maintenance, repairs, or upgrades.
- Coordinate network or design activities with designers of associated networks.
- Design, build, or operate equipment configuration prototypes, including network hardware, software, servers, or server operation systems.
- Design, organize, and deliver product awareness, skills transfer, or product education sessions for staff or suppliers.
- Determine specific network hardware or software requirements, such as platforms, interfaces, bandwidths, or routine schemas.
- Develop and implement solutions for network problems.
Behavioral and Interpersonal:
- Advanced knowledge of protocols including BGP, IS-IS, OSPF, and EIGRP
- Advanced knowledge of tunneling protocols including IPSEC, GRE, L2TPv3
- Knowledge of high availability protocols such as VRRP, HSRP, LACP, PAGP
- Advanced knowledge of network virtualization technologies including MPLS and VRF
- Advanced knowledge of routing technologies
- Advanced knowledge of Quality of Service
- Advanced knowledge of switching technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Data Center technologies knowledge and experience
- High availability design experience
- Experience with VOIP components and converged networks
- Experience with load balancers (Coyote and others)
- Solid knowledge of TCP/IP (v4/v6) protocol, DHCP, DNS, etc
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Demonstrated ability to solve complex problems or produce complex solutions
- The ability to communicate and influence business and technical staff
- Maintains strong values of integrity, commitment and self-improvement
- Understands and applies procedures, regulations, and policies related to areas of specialized expertise.
- Highly results and delivery oriented
- Highly customer service oriented - Comfortable working with end-users (customers) in person and over the phone
- Highly organized - Excellent follow through and follow up skills
- Demonstrates an aptitude for continuous learning and personal development (intellectually curious)
- Able to multi-task a variety of duties and work requests
- Works well under pressure with changing priorities and not always predictable workload
- Foster and practice knowledge sharing with team members and end-users; good documentation skills
- Demonstrated Bias for action and taking the initiative
- Effective Communication – Communicates well in both written and verbal medium. Can communicate effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Team work - Enjoys working as a member of a team, fosters a team environment, is a active and positive participant in forming a team oriented culture.
- Role modeling – can serve as a role model to less senior members of the organization.
Bachelor’s or Associates degree in computer science and/or minimum of 8 years in the computer field or equivalent experience
Experience: 5+ years minimum experience in Systems Administration/Networking Support and Architect/Design Support roles. Expertise in Cisco Network and VoIP required. CCNP/CCDP considered a plus. Server System Administration considered a plus.
Trek Bicycle Corporation - 20 months ago