Senior Network Architect – Voice/VoIP
The Senior Network Architect for Voice/VoIP is responsible for research, tracking industry technology developments, equipment and vendor recommendations, evaluation, test and selection of communications hardware and software elements over a broad range of network technologies and services. This position focuses on the integration of advanced voice service technologies. This individual will be required to help assemble the capital budget, create projects for the new technology evaluation and manage lab evaluations. The position reports directly to the Vice President of Technology.
This position translates business and product requirements into functional requirements and integrates solutions into a cohesive technical architecture. This position oversees the development and definition of detailed system specifications and service requirements in support of new product rollouts including vendor selection, engineering analysis, product testing, functional system integration testing and end-to-end network architecture for all voice equipment. The person in this position plays a key role within the organization by coordinating engineering and operations teams to integrate new products and services into the network.
The evaluation process for new products and services includes performing vendor and lab evaluations and network pilots, documenting recommendations and reporting on the results to ourSenior Leadership Team. The position also plays an important role in evaluating new business opportunities by identifying the technologies, costs and timeframes needed to create new revenue opportunities.
Specific duties/responsibilities/functions: Technology planning and evaluation as it pertains to system design requirements including new equipment selection, integration, requirement specifications, requirement gathering, design selection, alternative recommendations, costing and scheduling. Ability to work in a lab environment to define test plans and execute tests to meet customer requirements. Close coordination with Strategy and Product Development is needed to define new products and service requirements. Provide input to the development and documentation of guidelines and specifications for the proper configuration and usage of application equipment and it’s components within the network. Provide financial analysis on proposed products and justify the cost benefit of the new technology’s impact on our network.
Required Kind and length of experience: BSEE, BSCS, BSET and 8 years’ experience in investigating and deploying new wireless technologies required, Master’s degree preferred. The candidate must possess outstanding interpersonal skills, presentation skills, and writing skills. Strong working knowledge of network management tools and operating systems required. Proficient in network equipment design and engineering in areas of expertise including:
• Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills associated with planning, design and implementation of customer services and network optimization on transport and IP based networks.
• Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills required
• Fundamental understanding of both copper based and fiber-optic based networks
• Designing and engineering voice switches and gateways
• Very strong experience working with Ethernet voice/VoIP
• Experience with channel banks, DCS, DSX panels and how they relate to the industry as a whole
• Experience with GTD5, 5ESS, DMS-10/100 and other PSTN switches
• Familiarity with SS7 signaling
• Knowledge of 911 systems and PSAPs
• A strong background in Internet technologies
• Knowledge of Ethernet and SONET/TDM transport services
• Strong understanding of layer 2 networks, VLAN tagging, QoS concepts
• Must have strong knowledge of all access technologies including T-1, ADSL, ADSL2+, VDSL, , bonding, vectoring, G.SHDSL, BPON, GPON, Active Ethernet
• Have a strong understanding of Voice switches (Metaswitch, Nortel, Genband, Siemens, Lucent, Tekelec, etc.)
• Familiarity with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac protocols
• Familiarity with the concept and challenges of switch collapse
• Technical familiarity with data aggregation concepts
• Knowledge of the market place with respect customer expectations on voice products
• Demonstrated understanding of the role and impact of cross-functional departments and their relative impact on company initiatives.
• Experience with Internet optimization technologies and congestion management systems.
• Traffic engineering and network modeling skills
• Knowledge of IP technology, including IPV4, IPV6 and related topics
• Technical familiarity with wireless voice and packet data networks
• Able to clearly communicate plans, alternatives, and recommendations in both written and verbal form.
• Ability to train and mentor staff.
Computer skills: Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio used for formulating reports and generating presentations.
1. Typical Problems: Providing recommendation on specific vendor equipment Network upgrade enhancements and coordination to meet customer requirements. Performing technical research on new equipment. Determine the most cost effective way to provide additional network services. To insure that practices, procedures and programs are issued in a timely manner to ensure effective guidance required to improve human resource utilization and to enhance the quality of service experienced by our customers.
2. Most Complex Problems: Constantly monitor and review new technologies required by the organization. Applying new technologies to the current network architecture. Understand and execute on application design requirements in an area where new technology is changing quickly and standards are not yet, or not well defined. Continued and accurate network modeling to support network requirements. Capturing the impact of software and/and hardware upgrades across the network. Recommending vendor selection and modifications to equipment configurations. Cost reduction actions to optimize capitalized and leased network. Resolutions of priorities, which have resulted in conflict with other departments, are referred to the VP of Technology. Any and all decisions that actually involve the expenditure of money are referred to the VP of Technology. Equipment/vendor selection decisions are referred to the VP of Technology.
Progressive IT is dedicated to delivering the highest level of personal service with honesty, integrity and trust. We excel in providing the...