Under general supervision performs work of considerable difficulty in county planning; performs other duties as assigned.
Essential functions of this position include: driving, sitting at desk, working with and around others; hearing and speech for communicating; finger dexterity to work on keyboard for writing reports and correspondence.
- Administers various ordinances and plans for development review, subdivisions, rezoning, conditional use permits, and variances
- Works with citizen groups and individuals on planning related issues
- Meets with developers and property owners
- Conducts site plan review to ensure compliance with ordinance requirements
- Presents cases to Planning and Zoning Commission and Board of Adjustment
- Manages the development and implementation of area and/or transportation plans, amendments to County zoning ordinances, and updating of zoning maps
- Represents the County on inter-agency working groups and with outside agencies
- Prepares and maintains records and reports
- Processes requests for rezoning, use permits, and variances, including preparing staff reports with recommendations
- May approve routine applications for temporary use permits, administrative adjustments, signs, and minor land divisions
- May interpret and apply the County Floodplain Ordinance including the issuance of Floodplain Permits
- Participates in the Business Process Administration Team
Bachelor's degree in planning, geography or a related field and three years of related experience; OR, any combination of education, training or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
This position is non-exempt from overtime.
The ideal candidate would have relevant educational background and experience in both long range and current planning activities in a local government development services office. The ideal candidate would also have experience administering floodplain regulations. The ideal candidate would also have excellent analytical skills, writing skills, communication skills, permitting experience and excellent customer services.
Preferences: AICP Certification; project management experience; floodplain management experience; knowledge of pertinent laws related to county planning and zoning; ability to analyze, interpret, and apply pertinent regulations, ordinances and laws related to county planning and zoning; good customer services skills; good writing skills.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of:
- Principles, practices and techniques of planning and zoning
- County, state and federal laws pertaining to County planning and zoning and/or transportation planning
- Land use ordinances and regulations
- Floodplain ordinances and regulations
- Working knowledge of:
- Graphic techniques and interpretation of topographic maps
- Basic statistical methods
- Computer applications
- Ability to:
- Represent the County on planning and/or transportation issues to citizens' groups and other governmental entities
- Accurately interpret and evaluate planning and land use issues, laws, requirements and objectives
- Work safely and support the culture of workplace safety
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the public
- Follow written and verbal instructions
- Communicate effectively, orally and in writing
Coconino County, AZ - 16 months ago
copy to clipboard -