The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is one of America’s leading K -12 educational assessment entities, currently holding prime contracts for educational testing and scoring in a number of states. AIR holds a national leadership position in computer based adaptive assessments; a market that is rapidly growing. We focus on providing our clients with customized assessments that not only measure student achievement against state standards, but also provide meaningful score reports that can help students, parents, and educators address any areas of student weakness. Our environment is fast-paced and requires people at all levels who are willing to roll up their sleeves to get the work done on time while maintaining high quality.
The Senior Program Manager will be located in Washington, D.C. (possible remote opportunities for industry experienced candidates).
Senior Program Managers assume overall responsibility for managing all aspects of state testing projects at AIR. They must be able to work collaboratively in a fast paced environment; anticipate problems and come up with creative methods of solving them; develop strong, positive, constructive relationships with senior-level state clients and multiple stakeholders; manage project teams; and make sure that quality control procedures are adhered to in order to produce high quality assessments within deadline and budget. They must be able to work in an environment where project requirements often change and evolve, and must be comfortable seeking out information and advice, when necessary. They must be able to conceptualize how all the parts of a complex project fit together and what a change to one part will mean for the other parts. Successful candidates will create a proactive culture in which the efficient creation of high quality products is second nature.
The responsibilities of the Senior Program Manager include:
1. Managing all aspects of complex, large-scale assessment programs in a high security environment often with high-stakes attached
2. Managing the transition of large-scale paper and pencil testing programs to an online, computer-adaptive format while working closely with senior-level clients at the State Department of Education
3. Developing and implementing processes, procedures, and schedules for meeting project deliverables and client needs.
4. Working with state clients to ensure that all plans and schedules are viable, that the state understands their roles and deadlines, and that clear lines of communication are established
5. Chairing and facilitating high-level client and sub-contractor meetings with multiple participants and guiding discussions among multiple stakeholders to reach concrete decisions
6. Developing a master schedule that reflects client needs and team’s work requirements
7. Monitoring schedule, deadlines and deliveries to ensure project commitments are executed on time
8. Communicating schedule and any changes to project staff
9. Working directly with senior level clients to provide solutions to day-to-day operational issues
10. Ensuring scope changes are reflected in contracts, budgets, activities, and schedules
11. Communicating scope and budget changes to team members.
12. Managing team leads for item development, technical, reporting, website, software and operations and making sure that each team receives required handoff’s.
13. Keeping AIR senior management informed of any potential risks, potential missed deadlines or budget over-runs.
14. Managing subcontractors.
15. Monitoring budgets.
• Minimum education: Bachelor degree required, M.B.A., M.A. in relevant field, or the equivalent preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years, but prefer 10 years, of progressively increasing responsibility managing tasks and projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience working directly with senior-level clients.
• Must have experience working in large-scale assessment.
• PMP certification preferred.
• Experience working with on-line, secure delivery systems a plus.
American Institutes for Research - 11 months ago
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...