Job Title: Senior Project Manager – Base Building (Hospitality, Senior Housing and Commercial Construction)
Reports To: Division Manager – Base Building
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Date Last Modified: 11/15/2013
The purpose of this position is to fulfill these responsibilities and functions.
This position will perform project management duties for multi-unit housing, senior housing, remodeling, building additions, new free-standing buildings, or any combination thereof for projects of unlimited size, scope and complexity.
The primary duties and responsibilities of this position include the following specific tasks. Other duties may be assigned at any time.
Additional areas of focus may include:
- Participate, promote, and generate sales from external and internal clients. Initiate, develop, and foster these customer relationships.
- Initiate and manage the subcontractor bidding process, as needed. Ensure project documentation for bidding is comprehensive and complete. Ensure Company receives sufficient number and quality of subcontractor proposals.
- Completes accurate, efficient and timely quantitative analyses.
- Independently prepare preliminary estimates of subcontractor costs, material and labor costs from Schematic and Design Development drawings.
- Independently prepare value engineering analyses.
- Independently prepare detailed estimates of proposed subcontractor, material and labor costs for assigned projects.
- Independently prepare detailed written proposals to prospective clients for services to be performed. Prepare Owner/General Contractor agreement for signature by the President.
- Independently initiate and prepare Owner change requests, change orders, and other project records, reports and logs accurately and as scheduled. Track project costs including contracts, change orders, pending costs, purchase orders, labor, other, etc. accurately, on a daily basis.
- Ensure that projects are invoiced and collected in accordance with the terms and conditions of our agreements.
- Lead a project team by providing work direction, meet established cost guidelines and time schedules, monitor progress and take action to achieve project objectives.
- Perform and complete other duties and tasks as assigned by the Director of Operations.
- Mentor, train and educate other Welsh Construction Project Manager(s) in the construction business and Welsh Construction’s policies and procedures.
- Initiate, develop, and foster subcontractor relationships.
- Actively participate as a member of the Project Management team by
providing input on job progress to ensure projects were developed
appropriately and completed on schedule.
- Compare actual performance to the estimate as well as a summary of project progress, identify and communicate problems and issues to be addressed, prioritized, accountabilities established and resolved. Use this information to refine and improve subsequent estimates.
- Ensure project punchlists are distributed and completed within specified timeframes.
- Oversee the compilation of Operations and Maintenance Manuals, As-Builts, and other project documentation and ensure they are completed accurately and within specified time frames.
- Take a lead role in formal sales presentations.
- Recognize and perform duties, which needed to be performed although not directly assigned with minimal direction and supervision.
- Consistently show ability to recognize and deal with priorities. Demonstrate good judgment in examining situations, and tactfully resolving problems.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner both in the Company’s facilities and at customer locations.
- Comply with all local, State and Federal laws, as well as the Welsh Safety and AWAIR regulations to ensure there was no negligence on the part of the Company.
- Demonstrate good judgment in examining and resolving problems.
- Respect the confidentiality of company business, clients and other personnel.
- Promote the use of all other “Welsh Company” services to outside clients and helps other “Welsh Company” businesses secure work.
Explain the level of supervision responsibility assigned to this position. If supervision is not part of the job overview, then note “N/A”.
Although not considered an actual supervisory position, the Senior Project Manager – Base Building is expected to display leadership skills in his role as Project Manager. This includes providing work direction to the project team and the authority to instruct team members on matters related to schedule, budgets and work quality.
Define the credentials needed to perform this job successfully.
Individuals must have these specific traits, experience and credentials to perform at an acceptable level as a Senior Project Manager – Base Buildings (Multi-Family Housing, Senior Housing and Commercial Construction):
- Focus on client satisfaction
- Ability to motivate and work with a team of employees and subcontractors, provide work direction, work within established cost guidelines and time schedules, monitor progress and take action to achieve project objectives.
- Have a proven ability to guide, direct and coordinate the work of multiple projects (or scope/phases) simultaneously.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
- Excellent construction industry knowledge and trends impacting business.
- A moderate level of understanding of technology, including the ability to operate a computer and mobile communication devices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete all areas outlined for this position in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to meet the minimum job requirements of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Required: High school diploma or equivalent.
Preferred: 4-year degree in Construction Management or Construction Engineering.
Required: Eight or more years experience as Manager or Project Manager in an equivalent construction, construction management, or related contracting company for projects of at least $10,000,000 in size; Significant experience in multi-family or senior housing as well as commercial base buildings
Preferred: Critical access hospital construction
Knowledge, skills & abilities
The Senior PM – Base Building (Multi-Family Housing, Senior Housing and Commercial Construction) must possess the following skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret blue prints, technical documents, legal documents, financial reports and industry or trade magazines.
- Basic software knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, Project and Outlook. Ability to learn, understand and use Sage Timberline Project Management and Accounting software.
- Ability to perform the sales, bidding, estimating and project management duties and tasks for all scopes of work required in building construction.
- Ability to manage multiple construction projects at one time up to and including projects of $10,000,000 in size.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, inspectors, and members of the business community.
- Ability to guide, direct, and coordinate the work of a project team, including architects, design consultants, project assistants, project managers and other team members to complete projects on a design/build basis.
- Superior knowledge of the Company’s industry and trends impacting its business.
- Superior negotiating skills.
- Ability to participate in sales and marketing strategies, efforts and preparation of presentations and marketing materials. Ability to lead sales presentations.
- Ability to communicate and work positively and professionally with clients, vendors, suppliers and co-workers, including the ability to respond to inquiries or complaints from customers, vendors, subcontractors, regulatory agencies and members of the business community.
Required: Drivers License.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Strong communication skills are required, written and verbal (in English), to interact with clients, subcontractors and co-workers. Ability to read and write reports and make presentations as required. Ability to verbally communicate in a positive, professional manner when under stress or within stressful situations with clients, vendors, suppliers and co-workers.
Ability to perform the following math skills is necessary for measuring and managing projects: algebra, fractions, volumes, and calculating areas. Ability to determine spatial relationships is required to complete site surveys, jobsite inspections and layouts, and other related activities
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
BODY POSITIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand or sit for prolonged periods of time while performing the managerial functions such as estimating, scheduling, report writing, etc. The majority of the sitting time will be utilizing a PC.
BODY MOVEMENTS: The employee must have a full range of body movements, including the use of his or her hands to finger, handle, and feel objects. The ability to bend the body, to reach for objects, and to crouch when needed are also required.
BODY SENSES: The employee must have command of four senses: sight, hearing, touch and smell. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distant vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. These vision requirements in each area must be sufficient to analyze the quality and characteristics of existing conditions or completed work in the field.
STRENGTH: The employee must have the ability to lift 25 pounds with regularity and more than 50 pounds up to 1/3 of the time.
This position will be working primarily indoors. Work frequently requires the employee to travel and work or meet at customer office or project sites. From this movement, the employee will encounter varying weather conditions and temperatures. The normal auto hazards will apply. Site reviews may require lifting, climbing, twisting, etc. to uncover existing conditions or problems and examine completed work. The body must perform the normal duties of twisting, reaching and the hand movements to write and answer the telephone.
Work will consist of (5) eight to ten hour days per week, however, may require additional hours from time to time to complete assignments that fall within extreme deadlines.
EEO/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION STATEMENT
As an Equal Opportunity /Equal Opportunity Employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.
Best Representation Statement
This job description is written to the best of our knowledge as of the date of this document. All job descriptions are subject to change without notice based on business needs.
Welsh Companies - 8 months ago
Welsh is a full-service commercial real estate company, established in 1977. For over 30 years, Welsh Companies has and continues to provide...