Senior Public Relations Specialist - Community Outreach - Southfield
Requisition #: 87739
Status: Full-Time with Full-Time Benefits (40 Hours)
Business Unit: Health Alliance Plan (HAP)
Shift: See Posting Details
Department: Community Outreach
Job Family: Public Relations
Job Function: Business (Non-Clinical)
Campus/Job Location: Health Alliance Plan (HAP) Preferred
Location (State/City): US-MI-Southfield
More information about this position
Our health system thrives on teamwork, and we know our employees achieve the greatest results when they are working together for a common goal - to provide care for our patients. If you enjoy working in a collaborative environment then we have a job for you!
Henry Ford Health System is one of the country's largest health care systems and a national leader in clinical care, research and education. Our system includes the 1,200-member Henry Ford Medical Group, six hospitals, Health Alliance Plan, 32 primary care centers and many other health-related entities throughout Southeast Michigan. Founded in 1915 by auto pioneer Henry Ford, we continue to be committed to improving the health and well-being of a diverse Michigan community. In 2009 alone, Henry Ford Health System provided more than $173 million in uncompensated care. Henry Ford also is a major economic driver in Michigan and employs more than 23,000. Our health system is led by CEO Nancy Schlichting.
To learn more, visit HenryFord.com.
* Coordinate and implement HAP's external corporate public relations, media relations, issues management, reputation management and crisis communications strategies to positively impact the public image and reputation of HAP. Develop communications and messaging that support HAP's strategic plan and growth initiatives. Align external initiatives with Internal Communications, Community Outreach and Marketing to create an integrated communications plan.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assist with development and implementation of strategic public relations plans (short-term and long-term).
* Plan and implement proactive media relations activities. Cultivate relationships with key reporters. Proactively pitch stories to the media. Work with PR agency to disseminate and pitch information.
* Respond to media inquiries. Work with internal subject matter experts to gather needed information.
* Serve as media spokesperson.
* Develop position statements, key messages and other public relations materials.
* Prepare executives and subject matter experts for interviews.
* Coordinate activities involving the HAP Speakers Bureau, including triaging speaking requests, assigning a speaker and preparing speaker materials.Monitor industry news and trends; provide summaries and talking points when needed; disseminate relevant news to employees and/or leaders.
* Monitor public relations performance metrics and prepare public relations reports.
* Serve as liaison with digital team to update corporate website(s) and social media feeds.
* Coordinate award nominations for HAP, its programs and executives.
* Work with Community Outreach team to plan and execute external initiatives and activities, as needed.
* Work with Internal Communications team to align overarching messages and initiatives, including Executive Communications, as needed.
The position will be based in Southfield, Mich., but may require occasional travel to HAP's offices in Detroit and Flint, Mich.
* Bachelor's degree in public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field.
* Minimum ten (10) years of experience in public relations or corporate communications, with an emphasis in media relations.
* Experience in coaching subject matter experts and executives.
* Experience planning and implementing Internal Communications strategies
* Experience planning and implementing Community Outreach activities
Experience with Community Outreach or Foundation work.
Skills and Abilities:
* Proven ability to coordinate media relations for a large corporation or organization.
* Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills.
* Excellent organizational and communication skills; ability to interact professionally with internal and external customers.
* The ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
* The ability to work collaboratively, but also with minimal supervision.Proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint.
* SharePoint experience is a plus.Basic understanding of social media and how it relates to an integrated marketing communications program.
HFHS and HAP Team Member Standards of Excellence:
Must meet or exceed core customer service responsibilities, standards and behaviors as summarized below:
Display a positive attitudeTake ownership and be accountableOffer open and constructive communicationRespond in a timely mannerTake pride in the systemRespect and be sensitive to privacy/confidentialityCommit to team membersHonor and respect diversityMaintain a clean and safe workplace environment
Physical Demands/Working Conditions:
Typical office environmentSedentary – Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time.Talking – Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.Hearing – Perceiving the nature of sounds.Travel – Occasional travel to HAP's Detroit and Flint offices or to community events as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
Henry Ford Health System is committed to the hiring, advancement and fair treatment of all individuals without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, weight/height, marital status, familial status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law..
Built around a hospital founded by Detroit's favorite son, the not-for-profit Henry Ford Health System (HFHS) is a hospital network that is...