I. Basic Function:|
The QA Senior Tester is expected to perform expert level functionality testing on assigned QA projects. The QA Senior Tester also assists the QA Project Lead/QA Senior Lead with a variety of tasks, including supervising and mentoring the test team, helping execute the test plan, and other project related tasks. The QA Senior Tester may also be called upon to perform in an acting QA Project Lead role, which involves organizing and leading the testing effort on an assigned software title.
II. Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs Quality Assurance testing on assigned Activision products (70%)
2. Acts in a supporting role to an assigned QA Project Lead (10%)
- Assists in executing the QA project test plan by performing thorough testing on assigned software titles. This can include functionality, balance, stability, performance, interface, art, sound, text, documentation, and other types of testing.
- May also be called upon to perform testing of a technical nature, focusing on first party software requirements, compliance and standards testing, or other certification-type testing.
- Identifies and documents defects in a clear and concise manner using the assigned bug tracking database.
- Assists the production/development team in tracking down issues and working out the steps to reproduce issues so that they are easier to locate and fix.
- Completes regression/verification testing on an as needed basis.
- Follows instructions and accomplishes tasks as directed by the QA Project Lead or QA Management.
- Assists assigned QA Project Lead as a floor lead or platform lead. Assigns tasks to the test team, and follows up on the completion of assigned tasks to ensure that they're completed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assists the QA Project Lead in "owning" a significant portion of a project, such as online play or single player mode, as assigned by the QA Lead. Using only general direction from the QA Lead, the QA Senior Tester will independently develop and initiate testing strategies and methodologies, such as checklists and other testing techniques, and will incorporate these into the overall project plan.
- Undertakes additional responsibilities, such as database management, or in researching and gathering data for metrics, as assigned by the QA Lead.
- Assists the QA Lead during meetings with Production or technical support groups.
- May be called upon to present testing results in higher level meetings with senior management. Must be able to summarize, prioritize and disseminate this information in a clear and precise way that is easily understood by all.
- Assists in training and mentoring new testers in the basics of testing the game and QA testing policies and procedures.
- Looks for ways to improve testing effectiveness. Coaches other testers in innovative testing techniques and encourages testers in ways to break the game beyond the obvious approaches. Encourages testing "outside the box".
- May be called upon to help manage the test team in the QA Lead's absence.
Leadership of secondary and derivative SKUs (5%)
- Assists assigned Quality Assurance Manager or QA Senior Project Lead in starting, organizing, and completing an assigned QA test project.
- Acts as an ongoing liaison with the producer and other production staff to help coordinate work between QA, Production, and the Development team.
- Creates a test plan to help define and organize the testing effort.
- Creates a budget and monitors spending to ensure the project is kept on track.
- Completes milestone assessment reports at Alpha and Beta in accordance with QA policies.
- Organizes and oversees all testing on assigned projects, to ensure that all bugs are found and reported, and that the title is thoroughly and effectively tested.
- Supervises the test team on a daily basis to ensure rapid and accurate completion of assigned tasks.
- Evaluates performance and provides feedback to test team members.
- Creates informative and accurate daily reports and ensures distribution to designated production and management staff.
- Coordinates testing with TRG, Night Shift, and any other applicable group as needed.
- Reviews packaging and documentation for accuracy.
- Performs other additional tasks as defined by QA policy.
Special projects or assignments (15%)
III. Principal Working Relationships:
- From time to time the QA Manager may assign special projects to the QA Senior Tester in furtherance of the Quality Assurance department's goals.
QA Testers/Senior Testers: Interact and coordinate work; provide guidance and mentoring to members of the test team.
QA Project Lead/QA Senior Lead: Report testing results; confer on test strategy; discuss team management needs.
Manager, Quality Assurance: Provide high level feedback on testing effort.
Members of the Production Team: Provide information on testing results; assist with testing tasks; participate in QA/Production meetings.
Members of the Development Team: Provide information on testing results; assist with testing tasks.
IV. Position Qualifications:
- B.A. or B.S. in Computer Science or Entertainment related area (desired)
Special Knowledge, Skills
(Tools and Technology, Technical Skills)
- Able to perform functionality testing on a variety of software titles (required)
- Able to identify defects in software titles and report defects in a clear and concise manner (required)
- Familiarity with Windows operating systems and related PC hardware (required)
- Familiarity with Devtrack and JIRA (required)
- Good working knowledge of current video game consoles (required)
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel (required)
Prior Experience/Previous Positions related to current position:
- Twelve months or more hands-on experience in quality assurance testing of software projects (required)
- Six months or more hands-on experience in compliance testing of software projects (required)
- Strong background in entertainment software or related industry (desired)
Other Qualifications and/or Requirements
: (Years of exp. required, key competencies to be successful)
- Must possess excellent spoken and written communication skills (required)
- Proactive, driven individual with a strong work ethic (required)
- Ability to work in a team environment (required)
- Demonstrates leadership potential (required)
- Demonstrable ability to work with and help mentor new testers (required)
- Avid to hard-core game player with experience in many different game genres (desired)
- Demonstrable ability to learn and implement new software testing procedures (desired)
United States-California-El Segundo
Activision - 15 months ago