The International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) is seeking a candidate for a Senior Research Assistant/ Research Analyst position for its Poverty, Health, and Nutrition Division (PHND). The successful candidate will provide research support to senior research staff on projects related to social protection, the interface of agriculture and nutrition, gender and other related issues in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. Much of this work is on projects conducting rigorous impact evaluations involving household survey data collection. Primary activities will include supporting (i) development of survey design software applications for electronic survey data collection using Computer Assisted Personal Interviews (CAPI), (ii) training staff in the development and use electronic survey design applications and (iii) development of a system to standardize data coding and cleaning. The position is an exempt, two-year, fixed-term appointment, and is renewable depending on performance and funding. It is based at IFPRI headquarters located in Washington DC. Final grade and title will be determined based on experience.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Design or support the design of electronic survey questionnaires and data collection using CAPI applications for conducting household surveys on computers with software packages like Blaise, Surveybe, Open Data Kit, CSPro, and SurveyToGo.
• Train research support staff and senior researchers in the use of electronic survey questionnaire and data collection software.
• Assist senior research staff in developing a system of standardizing data coding and cleaning of household survey data. Develop computer code for conducting data cleaning. Train data cleaning and preparation teams in how to clean and standardize data and finalize data sets for analysis.
• Perform other tasks related to data collection and field work, including helping with designing survey instruments, training field workers, supervising data collection and data entry, and carrying out data cleaning and analysis using statistical software and other computer programs.
• Perform other tasks related to preparing household survey data sets for analysis, including data cleaning, data coding and labeling, and variable creation.
• Assist senior research staff in the preparation of reports (project deliverables), briefs and other research products for dissemination.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Master’s degree in economics, statistics, computer science, epidemiology, or closely related field
o At the Research Analyst level, a Master’s degree and minimum 2-3 years’ relevant post-Master’s experience is required.
• Experience supporting survey data collection or project implementation in developing countries.
• Substantial computer programming experience including experience with statistical software packages (preferably STATA) and familiarity with database software development, survey design software or SQL.
• Demonstrated ability to handle multiple tasks and produce completed products on time.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
• Ability to work independently and in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams.
• Strong interpersonal skills and a team oriented spirit.
• Experience working on impact evaluation research in the context of programs.
• Research support experience or training on PHND’s main thematic areas (economics, nutrition, gender, social protection and human capital formation).
• Fluency in French or Spanish.
IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) - 2 years ago