This position is critical for the support of the Global Marker Technologies (GMT) team’s mission of increasing world-wide marker capacity and capability while optimizing cost and quality to meet research, product development and supply demands. Marker-assisted breeding is necessary to meet the strategic imperatives of the Pioneer business. To achieve success, GMT must deliver and operate efficient marker platforms and the markers themselves to produce the genetic information required by our internal customers (breeding, trait discovery, trait characterization and development, and supply management). The position is required due to the increasing rate of technology change in the area of molecular markers, and the aligned increase in customer demands through-out Pioneer’s crop business units. Since 2009, GMT has added 3 production genotyping centers, deployed new technology platforms to all 8 facilities, has added roughly 70 production positions, lowered cost per data-point by 50%, and has increased global output nearly 200%. The crop complexity has grown from primarily a two crop customer base to an 8 crop customer base. The successful candidate will work in a highly team-oriented environment that operates globally; the role is accountable for deploying and leading genome-wide and trait-specific (GM and Native) production genotyping in the continental US and Canada, the global inventory programs, the global quality programs, and the global process unification/harmonization programs. Duties/Responsibilities The role is responsible for: Strategic and technical leadership of at least 2 interdependent production genotyping facilities and associated programs; the global inventory programs, the global quality programs, and the global process unification/harmonization programs.
1. Line management and staff development accountabilities; operating budget responsibilities in excess of 32mio USD). (60%)
2. Ensures strategic alignment with partners’ production genotyping needs. (15%)
3. Systematically leads and ensures the deployment of appropriate technology, platforms and processes for production genotyping facilities and programs. (15%)
4. In partnership with stakeholders and support groups, takes a systems approach to process development encompassing all necessary aspects production genotyping. (10%)
1. A frequent issue encountered in this role is achieving the balance between moving quickly and proper load testing of emerging platforms, as well as successfully managing the transition from current platforms to next generation platforms. Ensuring intense risk management and quality assessments are continuous issues faced by a person in this job.
2. The development of robust processes that can be executed reliably and repeatedly in divergent corners of the globe and across crops is a continuous issue faced by a person in this job.
1. Decisions around how much to invest in automation and technology versus human resource and the implementation of emerging technology are routinely encountered. Ineffective decision making could lead to the inappropriate scale-up of either resource, and could lead to in-lab imbalances that result in failure to deliver against the requests of Research and Product Development.
2. Decisions around how much to invest in risk mitigation are routinely made by this role. Ineffective decisions may lead to significant amounts of resource expended on unused capacity, or alternatively may lead to process failure thereby resulting in delayed delivery (or poor quality) of genotyping results leading to slowing down Product Development projects and initiatives. Education and Experience PhD plus a minimum of 4-6 years of industry related experience is required, equivalent levels of relevant education and experience. Competencies • Comprehensive knowledge of production genotyping platforms and methodologies.
- Must be able to manage a complex portfolio of development, deployment, and production projects across crops while still meeting rigorous deadlines.
- Demonstrated technical excellence and leadership skills in the field, excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated success in project management, developing staff, leading project teams and complex programs.
Pioneer - 2 years ago
Forget T-bills and mutual funds. Pioneer Hi-Bred International, a subsidiary of chemical giant DuPont, boasts the best yields. One of the...