SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The principal responsibility of the Research Scientist I
is the analysis by multiple procedures of intermediates
and target compounds. The Research Scientist I is
expected to demonstrate expertise in both the
theoretical and practical aspects of analytical
chemistry. A major component in the scientist's
performance rating will be based on productivity.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner.
Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
2. Follow responsible actions regarding chemical
disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations at
the federal, state, and local levels, as well as all
3. Develop and maintain working knowledge of commonly
used spectroscopic and chromatographic procedures.
4. Process samples with the standard procedures
effectively and under minimal supervision. Analyze
experimental data for validity before reporting results.
5. Use and maintain equipment in a neat and orderly
manner. Report any malfunction immediately to
supervisor. Repair minor problems. Maintain service and
6. Keep contemporary, accurate, legible, and complete
experimental records in accordance with GMP and GLP
7. Submit complete, documented, and legible reports of
analytical testing. Ensure that data is properly filed
and accessible for review in accordance with appropriate
8. Recommend and implement methods to increase the
quality of products and/or services.
9. Discuss routinely with supervisor the status of
assigned programs and potential problems.
10. Organize work time so that multiple activities run
concurrently. Use time efficiently to accomplish
immediate task and perform other needed activities.
11. Manage workload and time to enable the incumbent to
perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure all
necessary paperwork is completed on a timely basis.
12. Volunteer to assist with other tasks in the
analytical function not directly related to specific
13. Participate in self-development activities and
training of others.
14. Perform other related duties as may be reasonably
assigned in the course of business.
The Research Scientist I is encouraged to display a
degree of professionalism reflected in part by
increasing the scientist's knowledge of analytical
chemistry theory and practice through reading scientific
journals and texts at times beyond the "normal" working
Education and/or Experience
· Bachelors or Masters Degree with major in Analytical
Chemistry or other applicable Natural Science field;
including Pharmacy or equivalent.
· Chemical Hygiene training
· Other pertinent training/courses
AMRI - 13 months ago
copy to clipboard -