State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Senior Research Scientist 1 - Statistician
Job ID: 3589
- Apply statistical methods for experimental design and optimization of scientific processes.
- Analyze key datasets.
- Identify opportunities for the application of statistical thinking.
- Support researchers who conduct their own statistical analyses.
- Provide training to scientific colleagues.
- Evaluate new statistical methodologies, statistical software and data management solutions.
- Seek out and exploit opportunities for the application of statistical thinking in ways that add significant value to Syngenta’s biotech research activities.
- Provide specialist advice to individuals and project teams on the design and conduct of experiments to help optimize use of available resources.
- Drive best practices for experimental design.
- Conduct and report on the statistical analysis of key datasets, delivering information of genuine value in an accurate, effective and timely manner.
- Where appropriate, encourage and enable researchers who desire to carry out their own statistical analyses to do so correctly and efficiently by providing suitable software, guidance and support.
- Provide formal and informal training to scientific colleagues on relevant statistical issues, including developing written materials, workshops and seminars.
- Keep current with the state-of-the-art in statistical analysis, experimental design and process optimization methodologies relevant to biotech research activities; evaluate new methodologies, statistical software and data management solutions and make recommendations accordingly.
- Provide local leadership on statistical matters and contribute to the wider Syngenta R&D statistical community.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Masters or doctorate degree or equivalent in Statistics or Biostatistics preferably with a focus on application to biological problems.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of applied statistics relevant to biotech research, including experimental design.
- Expertise in the use of relevant statistical software (e.g. R, SAS, JMP).
- Biological knowledge is desirable but not essential.
The following are highly desirable but not essential:
- At least three year’s experience in practicing statistics.
- Experience of applying statistical methods in a life sciences setting.
- Experience of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Experience with training or mentoring scientific colleagues in statistics.
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Ability to work successfully with scientists from other disciplines.
- Ability to work accurately under pressure.
- Attention to detail.
- Aptitude for extracting useful information from data in an effective and timely manner.
- Ability to efficiently acquire expertise in new statistical methods.
- Fluency in the use of statistical software tools.
- Ability to communicate statistical ideas clearly and concisely to non-statisticians.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, in English, for both scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting workloads effectively, in agreement with manager and key customers.
Critical leadership capabilities:
- Ability to influence the way biologists think about the problems they work on.
- Ability to integrate into a highly diverse team comprising multiple disciplines, nationalities, and cultural backgrounds.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Establish effective partnerships with laboratory, field, greenhouse and computational biologists.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with members of the JH Biometrics Group.
- Work productively in a team / matrix environment with geographically dispersed stakeholders.
- Develop an understanding of customers’ needs.
- Identify and incorporate statistical methods from diverse scientific fields for application in biotechnology research.
- Demonstrate ability to work accurately under pressure, and to cope with frequently changing priorities
- Demonstrate ability to make sound technical judgments.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Infrequent travel, including international travel, may be required.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...