Develop new methodologies for next-generation automated forecast and decision-making capabilities that will drive new applications in various weather-impacted opportunities.
Assume partial responsibility for the overall quality of The Weather Channel forecast products, and create and implement solutions to sustain and advance that quality.
Lead (depending of experience) while working closely with a team of scientists and software engineers to architect and implement the forecasting technologies under development.
Working closely with the IT teams, recommend and possibly manage the appropriate computational and related infrastructures, to necessary to host operational implementations of the technologies developed.
Sustain knowledge in modern artificial intelligence techniques by studying new scientific methodologies and techniques and actively participating in professional meetings, conferences and societies related to the field.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- PhD in Atmospheric Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or other related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years of relevant professional experience with demonstrated achievements, or comparable research or academic experience.
- Extensive knowledge of a broad range of machine learning, artificial intelligence and statistical methods (Neural networks, random forests, cluster analysis, genetic algorithms, adaptive boosting, Bayesian inference, Kalman filtering, etc.), particularly those may apply to weather forecasting based on large ensemble datasets.
- Demonstrated experience developing practical applications of artificial intelligence methods reduced to practice against real world problems.
- Mastery of appropriate software development platforms suitable to the responsibilities such as R, MATLAB, Octave, etc.
- Demonstrated passion for developing world class technical solutions to practical problems.
- Strong knowledge of meteorology, meteorological data and weather forecasting.
- Demonstrated proficiency and experience in the following:
- Specific application of artificial intelligence methods to weather forecasting problems
- Managing a team of technical and scientific professionals
- Managing the development and implementation of complex technical projects
- Software engineering experience particularly in C++, Java, and Python
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or keyboard; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and talk or hear. The employee must be able to see differences in widths and lengths of lines such as those on graphs and be able to read, write and interpret written documents.
Work Environment: Employee will work in a typical office environment, with minimal exposure to excessive noise or adverse environmental issues.
About The Company: WSI Corporation (“WSI") is the world’s largest supplier of real-time weather data, imagery, and weather forecast services to commercial customers in the broadcast media, aviation, energy, insurance, and government markets. Headquartered in Andover, Massachusetts, with offices in Madison, Wisconsin and Birmingham, England, WSI Corporation is the professional division of The Weather Company and owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms, The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. WSI is also the innovation engine of The Weather Channel, providing the display software and data services used continuously since their first day on the air.
In 1978, WSI became the first private weather company to computerize raw weather data and package it into customized formats. Over the past 35 years, WSI has expanded upon this core competency to deliver state-of-the-art systems and value-added weather information that are unequaled in the industry. WSI holds over 35 U.S. patents and has produced a steady stream of notable industry innovations. .
WSI offers comprehensive benefits, generous PTO, and a development environment that is respectful of your work/life balance.
WSI Corporation is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here EEO is the Law