"Where Creating the Best Hope for a Healthier Future Begins"
Provides advanced professional work in an independent manner involving medical and psychiatric social case services to interpret social and environmental factors relating to treatment and/or research.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
- Interviews and screens patients to interpret social and environmental factors and medical requirements.
- Plans course of treatment or refers cases to appropriate professionals, institutions or agencies to ensure that patients receive appropriate treatment or referral.
- Obtain data from patients and/or relatives in the best interest of their problems to assist in the development of a number of significant teaching endeavors, programs and social services.
- Works towards meeting total patient care. This includes interviews with the patients and/or relatives to study the individual's problems and needs, confers with the physician, faculty, and/or with any social agency which may have an interest in the patient's problem, assists patients in developing an economically feasible method of planning for services, and to make psychological and social adjustments necessitated by different types of illnesses, and conducts individual and group therapies.
- Prepares detailed reports and may video-tape sessions with patients for review with coworkers or a faculty member.
- Conducts independent psychotherapies to assist the patients in achieving positive psychological and/or social adjustments and may carry administrative responsibilities for a program.
- Participates in teaching and staff development activities, functions as an instructor in the social work graduate student clinical practicum program.
- Solicits the assistance of religious, social, and welfare agencies in the treatment of patients.
- Interacts with social work staff and psychiatric residents.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Master's Degree in Social Work from a school approved by the Council on Social Work with a minimum of four years of medical social work experience.
Licensure as a Master Social Worker by the Texas Board of Social Work is preferred.
UT Health Science Center at Houston - 6 months ago
copy to clipboard -